Please help me identify Evinrude, Thanks....

Ok so here is the deal. I may have been swindled a little bit. I recently bought a boat with an Evinrude attached. The motor has the 2001 225hp 3.3l Rude Ram cowl, 2001 Rude Ram mid serial plate model number E225FHLSIF, And a 2001 225hp title.

The more I research the more it looks like the powerhead doesn't match the rest of the motor.

Looks like a pre Ficht motor with only vro which is bypassed, but I am far from an expert on Evinrude. If it is in fact pre ficht, any way to tell year and horsepower?

Bummer is I just bought a bunch of QC10WEP spark plugs and the e-tec thermostats that I probably can't use now. Recommendations on that are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    my 95 evinrude vindicator 225 looks lot like that one

3. Member
    Thanks I will look into that model.

4. Member
    I guess it is safe to say it is not a 2001 225hp Rude Ram as it was billed to me. Being that there is no type of injection that I can see. Regular carb motor.

Not a Rude Ram, no injectors and that VRO gives it away!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

6. Member
    Can anyone tell me if the Evinrude 5005440 143 degree thermostats will work in the v6 looper motor? I think it is 10 degrees warmer than the originals.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pull a spark plug cap off and see what the numbers are on them. You may have a "Frankenrude" meaning some one may have put carbs on the intake instead of the air plenums. Turn the motor into a 3.3L carbed motor. Picture 6 has the FICHT water tubing and picture 7 shows the hoses for the oil lines, if it was a true carbed motor the recirc hoses would be up in the cylinder jugs.

8. Member
    Thank you for the reply. I pulled the plugs. Champion QL78YC. Typical carb motor plugs. A frankenrude would be awesome, I am wondering if the builder had a Rude Ram and blew the powerhead and stuck a carbed one on. The only thing I can think of on why the lower, mid, cowl, and title are for a 2001 and the powerhead is for a vindicator or ocean runner or ocean pro or whatever. Unless it is somehow a 3.3l carbed conversion motor, which would be pretty kewl, maybe he had the injection or emm crap out. I guess the only way to tell that would be pull the head and measure the bore and stroke.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That would be one way but if you pull one head and look at the pistons, that would be the tell tale. The Ficht pistons are different than the carbed motor. The blocks are basically the same.

10. Member
    most evinrudes and johnsons have the serial # also stamped on the welch plugs on the block. what you might call a freeze plug

11. Member
    Yes they all did and what i was going to say too but as you can see in the second photo someone has removed that plug.

12. Member
    I am going to try to get in touch with the guy who built the motor to see if he can shed some light on the subject. He works for a marine shop out here in South Texas.

13. Member
    The block has two places with numbers stamped. I don't know if it means anything though.

Attached Images Attached Images

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The block has been apart as you can tell from the red gel seal lines.