Thread: Z6/X5 questions

Z6/X5 questions

Been looking at the used boat market recently and due to garage size restrictions I am locked into a 17' model boat. I'm not crazy about picking up an 700lx or nx 750, but I do like the idea of an X-5 or Z-6. My budget will be around 15-17k. I'm not to crazy about buying a new Z17 for the price of one. If anyone has any input on these 2 models that would be great! I'm looking at buying next spring and I'm trying to do my research now.

Looking for problems that I need to look out for.
    Rod storage.
    Anything else you may think I would need to know.

Thanks!

Edit*** I have 21' for my overall length of storage in my garage. I will not keep the boat outside, my truck gets that, the boat will be kept in the garage at all times

2. Member
    I have a 2008 Z6 that has been a great boat for me. Has plenty of rod and tackle storage, fastest I have had it is 53 MPH on GPS. Normally it runs around 46-49 MPH when loaded down with all my gear and 2 people.
    I would not be worried about buying one again, I am personally looking into a larger boat now as I am fishing quite a bit more tournaments a year and having a boat in the 19 foot range would be more ideal for me.
    Dustin Montgomery
    Oskaloosa, IA

I have a 15 Z6 with 115 4 stroke command thrust. So far no real issues with it.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

4. Member
    Got a 14 Z6 - 2 stroke 115 hanging on the tail - no issues with the boat, be aware you cant (or at least I cant) get 8ft rods into any of the lockers. If you go with a Z6, I'd recommend a single console, and put your rods in the port locker (the side without the console). Make sure you have both rod straps installed, that way you can separate your rods on deck from reaction to plastics etc.....it saves time and effort. Speed wise, the z6 is slow on the hole shot, but you can play with your trim once you get used to to it to improve that part, lakes near me are limited, so not been above 35mph - which it reaches with ease. Loading and recovering are easy enough, on my trailer at the lakes I fish, fender has to be around 1/2 inch above the water (steep ramps), drives on easy enough, and once winched up, stays there till you can get the rest of the straps on. Storage for tackle is pretty good for this size boat - like all of us, pretty sure I carry way to much stuff I'm never going to use, but need to have "just in case".
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console