Laser Tempest question

96 astro fsx20 fish and ski 200 efi 1.87 gear.

Original prop 21p laser 2.

Max 6100 rpm 50 mph 23% slip.

After having prop double cupped

Max 5800 rpm 54 mph 13% slip. Better handling.

Tried a 21 tempest and a (worked/re pitched to 22) 23 tempest (similar performance)

6000rpm 57 mph 11% slip.

Is it normal for a tempest prop to chatter or make engine sound like it's working real hard when put in gear and idling? Rev up a little and it goes away.

The laser is smooth at all rpm ranges.

Since i I have the tempest and it has a little better performance and probably fuel efficiency wondering if there is any tricks to stop the chatter? It's on both props and the worked on was balanced.

2. Member
    The 21 tempest is the best prop you tried. I'd get the tach checked to make certain it's not reading wrong on the rpm's.

3. Member
    I like the tempest best. main question is if the idle noise is common or is there away to minimize it? It's loud enough to stick with the laser and loose performance.

Tack is a 21 year analog I think it's close.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Does it do it at all trim angles or just all the way tucked under? If you've only noticed it all the way tucked under at idle try bumping the trim up just a little and see what happens.

5. Member
    All trim angles, if I bump the speed to borderline no wake it goes away.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    My worked tempest has a very slight vibration trimmed all the way down. If I just tap the trim up at idle or very slow speed it goes away. Sounds like your issue maybe a little different than mine. Any other prop I've tried doesn't do this, and this prop only does it as I described.

7. Member
    Walleye,are you sure you have the correct hub kit for the Tempest? And are all the pieces there? The noise is stopping at higher rpm because of the increased water pressure on the prop.

8. Member
    Does it take a different hub then the laser 2? The tempest came with a partial hub kit Delrin sleeve additional bushing, nut washer and brass sleeve. Did not come with thrust washer. I had to put a flat zinc plate on to run it. I put it on the same way as laser and laser is smooth tempest plus is once past idling. Would playing with the plugs help anything?

Is it normal for a tempest prop to chatter or make engine sound like it's working real hard when put in gear and idling?

There shouldn't be any noise coming from your prop at any rpm. Is it the prop or the engine making the noise?

Does it spin freely by hand? Wobble? Any slack/movement side to side or in and out?

10. Member
    It's probably exhaust rattle and that's why it goes away when you increase rpm's. If that prop has the forward cone bushing in it you probably need a new thrust washer.

11. Member
    As in the thrust washer I have is bad? Or if the forward cone bushing is in it requires a different thrust washer? Can the tempest be run without the forward cone bushing to see if that is the cause?

12. Member
    Mercury put the cone washer in there to help support the weight of the prop and the length of the barrel on some props. If your thrust washer is worn that isn't going to help. How much torque are you putting on the prop nut? Mercury calls for 100 lbs with the cone washer.

13. Member
    Closer to 50lbs I picked up a new hub kit I'll torque it to 100 and retourque after a couple runs. Should have some time sat to get better test and numbers. Most of time I've run tempest was with family in boat and wide open doesn't happen. Exhaust rattle seems most logical to me. Would the plugs have anything to do with it?

14. Member
    Tried the 21 tempest on sat and the laser on Sunday three people and full 36 gal fuel both days. Unfortunately there was a 25 deg swing in temp. The 21 tempest would only hit 52 at 5800 rpm. The laser was 54 at 5900 rpm. It was brief tests from spot to spot during high school tourney and pre fish. The cupped laser is way smoother so sticking with it.

Tried brand new hub on the tempest torqued to 100lbs and it was still loud at idle. Not sure why but my boat just doesn't like it. I wish I would have tested the same day but fishing then painting took priority.

Thanks for the help.