Thread: Thank God

Thank God

Well, my RT178 made it through hurricane #2. Think Im leaving my home state.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

2. Member
    Glad you made it through safe.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Good news about your boat, the footage coming from the Keys and some other places in FL are pretty awful and from the Caribbean the destruction is just incredible. With rising water levels there are a lot of places in FL that are going to face serious on-going challenges. What happens to all these sunken boats?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

As a native Floridian myself. I'll never move back. Last years hurricane put a 350 year old oak tree, on my parents house. April they just got done rebuilding. This time around. They made sure the generator were working and left and went to my sisters in Atlanta. Fortunately no damage this year. (So far that is). My wife's brother in Fort Lauderdale didn't fare so well. Are her sisters in Melbourne. Her mom and dad in Lady Lake came out ok. Headed down there now. Trying to convince my parents it's time to get out. While everything is still in one piece.

Glad you made it through ok.

Ins will fix most of those boats. But there are quite a few Boneyards.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I would be agreeable to retire to the coast and buy a saltwater boat. But I would live in a prefab home, use modest patio furnishings, and own my own bobtail truck with a trailer hitch. I would be able to bugout in 48 hours with everything I owned and have a prearranged bugout destination.

6. Member
    I had to stay, must work during the storm, hospital. I was lucky enough that the high school let me store it in their auto shop. No, they didnt take her apart lol. Im on the east coast south of the cape, I think we hit 100+ gusts. Took forever to pass. House has a little damage, still no power but we have water. Lived here all my life except 6 months in SC, direct hit from Hugo, that one sucked!!!!
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

7. Member
    Im in Palm Bay, just south of Melbourne. Good luck getting here, gas is hard to come by. No food either.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    As a native Floridian myself. I'll never move back. Last years hurricane put a 350 year old oak tree, on my parents house. April they just got done rebuilding. This time around. They made sure the generator were working and left and went to my sisters in Atlanta. Fortunately no damage this year. (So far that is). My wife's brother in Fort Lauderdale didn't fare so well. Are her sisters in Melbourne. Her mom and dad in Lady Lake came out ok. Headed down there now. Trying to convince my parents it's time to get out. While everything is still in one piece.

Glad you made it through ok.

Ins will fix most of those boats. But there are quite a few Boneyards.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white

Glad you made it through ok. I've lived through some rough hurricanes, Camille was the absolute worst I was in as a kid. Andrew was no picnic. My sons and I went to south Georgia for a week and assisted in the cleanup from the floods that destroyed so many folks homes. The ones who got hit the worst though were those like Deerchaser who lived on the eastern side of the storm. I'm glad I don't live that far south anymore. My home in Columbus, GA made it through the storm ok but thousands in and around there had large amounts of damage done due to trees being uprooted and one lady was killed when a tree fell on her car. I had great friends/neighbors and my kids all made sure my house was prepared. My daughter put tape on my windows so they wouldn't shatter if a something hit them. While the storm was raging I was up here worried but fishing for big smallies.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    Im in Palm Bay, just south of Melbourne. Good luck getting here, gas is hard to come by. No food either.
    Mom and Dad made it back to J-Ville today. No damage, so we are headed to Lady Lake first. Thanks on the info

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    I've read all sorts of opinions and ideas on whether someone should leave or stay in hurricane prone areas.

I live in Houston for 6 months out of every year but I am 70 miles from the coast. The 50-inch rain hit a lot of areas around me (including filling my street gutter to gutter with water) but no water actually reached my home. But, less than a mile from my home, some people were flooded out.

Much of what I read so far, was that there are few places in the US that aren't prone to some sort of weather calamity. Mud slides; blizzards; tornados; hurricanes, floods etc.

The most interesting statistic that I read was that Tampa hasn't been hit by a direct hurricane since 1921.

I am not moving, but if I HAD to MOVE, I guess the odds of Tampa area having another major storm would be less than most other choices that I might consider.

My wife has no inclination to live anywhere else than Texas for 6 months and Tennessee for 6 months. That has to do with kids and grandkids (TX), and her sister and brother (TN)...more so that any other consideration. Guess I am here (TN and TX) for the duration.

OK with me since I have good fishing in both places.