Thread: backup lights

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    OK, I have just installed two new Optronics tail lights. Combination of tail/stop/turn as always, with outboard 1/4 a clear lens for backup. It has a second typical 3-pin connector, but only two pins used for the backup lights. I ran a 14ga blue wire down both sides of my trailer. Brake/etc lights are extremely bright, and the backup lights work really well. They are not just spot-pointed directly back, but diffuse outward as well. Wish the trux lights had worked out, but not being submersible made them a no-go for me. These are fully submersible and fit in the standard 6" oval rubber grommet so no new holes to drill, you just need to extend the blue wire from the solenoid down both sides of the trailer (or down one side and across the back).

Simple, effective, and took under an hour to install including running the wire, liquid vinyl on the connections, etc.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

2. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    For loading in the dark consider putting some LEDs on the inboard side of the trailer frame rails. You can see them under water and kind of like lights on a landing runway.
    I have another solution for that:
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 01-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    OK, I have just installed two new Optronics tail lights. Combination of tail/stop/turn as always, with outboard 1/4 a clear lens for backup. It has a second typical 3-pin connector, but only two pins used for the backup lights. I ran a 14ga blue wire down both sides of my trailer. Brake/etc lights are extremely bright, and the backup lights work really well. They are not just spot-pointed directly back, but diffuse outward as well. Wish the trux lights had worked out, but not being submersible made them a no-go for me. These are fully submersible and fit in the standard 6" oval rubber grommet so no new holes to drill, you just need to extend the blue wire from the solenoid down both sides of the trailer (or down one side and across the back).

Simple, effective, and took under an hour to install including running the wire, liquid vinyl on the connections, etc.
    Would you post some pics of those Optronics?
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    Would you post some pics of those Optronics?
    And the part #, please ...

Update: Sent a PM to OldTimer57 and he responded with the link to the lights he used. Said he didn't have any "lit up" pix of them yet, but would post some when he got the chance.
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-STL211RB.html

Found them by the pair on ebay with connectors.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6-Oval-LE...m4383.l4275.c1
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 01-05-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Update

5. Member
    If they are led and for a truck they are waterproof.all my lights on my peterbilt are led and waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by 2fish View Post
    If they are led and for a truck they are waterproof.all my lights on my peterbilt are led and waterproof
    I'm not going to argue here, So I didn't say anything. I have the lights and launched and loaded many times w/o any hint of water intrusion. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Waterproof != submersible...

Notice my post previously. The Trux tech support people say to NOT use them in submerged/submersible applications. I presume they know what they are talking about since they build the things. Like 'em but I went to LEDs to get rid of replacing regular filament based trailer lights, not to have to replace more expensive LED lights when they suck water in...
    Last edited by OldTimer57; 01-25-2018 at 11:47 PM.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I'm not going to argue here, So I didn't say anything. I have the lights and launched and loaded many times w/o any hint of water intrusion. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Mike, pm sent.

John

9. Member
    These lights are not waterproof or submersible per technical support at TRUX.
    I emailed them the following and here is their response:

From me to TRUX: I'd like to get brighter backup lights on my boat trailer.
    1. Can these lights be submerged/are they waterproof?
    2. My trailer has a 4 pin plug/connector. Will these work on my trailer or will I need a 5th wire for the reverse/backup light? 3. Assuming they are waterproof, which will give me the brightest backup illumination: the CLEAR lens or the RED? Thank you

TRUX very prompt reply:
    Thanks for your email. Unfortunately these light are water resistant only. They are not waterproof or submergible. That would void the warranty.Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

10. Member
    I can answer that second question. To work reasonably you need the 5th wire. Nothing prevents you from using 4 wires and connecting the main tail/running light wire to the reverse side of the light, with a switch on the trailer. But that seems cumbersome.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Pm sent, Mike

John

12. Member
    Dual revolution taillights ordered for my Ranger trailer!

John

lolo howdy mike, woohoo got a concrete drive, beats the snow cover huh??

The driveway, patio, 2 porch steps and trench drain are all brand new... Exposed aggregate patio looks great. My bank account doesn't.

The fall leaves make it look bad. It's all hand swirl finished.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123