Thread: Stratos History

Stratos History

as said in title, found this article of beginning of Stratos, but noticed the facebook posts always showing George Soros ...

http://bassboatmagazine.com/threads/...-history.5060/

2. Banned
    So all Stratos boats of a certain era had Evinrude motors? I don't see it around here.
    George Soros? The tinfoil hat force is strong on this one.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    So all Stratos boats of a certain era had Evinrude motors? I don't see it around here.
    George Soros? The tinfoil hat force is strong on this one.
    Absolutely. And I can vouch for this as being truth. My 1998 201 had the original registration in one of the compartments when I bought it, in a ziploc bag. It was registered to OMC, probably a demo boat of some kind.

Every Stratos I've ever seen made during the 90s had an evinrude/Johnson on it - except my 201, which was repowered by the previous owner to mercury.

4. Banned
    My '93 254 came with a 70hp OMC. Replaced with the first Merc in '98.

5. Member
    The first years when they came out around 1985-86 . They didn't have a motor on them . The Dealer rig the boat and put what motor you want on it with ect.

My 1988 201 Pro came just trailer and boat . I bought a cover and jack plate from the same dealer I brought the boat from. At the time . I think it was a year later i had it rig out and install a Mercury/Mariner motor at a diff. dealer . But price for motor.

Before i had a Ranger 350V . After I sold it , I rig out the Stratos .

6. Member
    I think Earl was the first person to drive a Inline and V6 motor from Mercury ,during his racing days on the Mercury Race Team .

After he sold Stratos . He started Javelin boats ,then sold it and started Triton Boats before sell it .

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Some of the thread is true but mostly not. Stratos, Javelin, Hydra-Sports and a few other brands were purchased by OMC and were incorporated into the OMC boat group. Of course being part of the boat group, you got a package deal if you got an OMC motor. The #1 on the Stratos star was for #1 in sales not Earl's boat number. The comment about warranty claims on the early FICHTs killed the company ludicrous, OMC was into so many things and a small market correction led to their demise. Soros did have a bunch to do with it as that is what he does. OMC was into so many markets it was tough to tell, Lawnboy mowers, snowmobiles, aquabouy diving systems, a plethora of things. Much like Brunswick who bought Mercury marine, Triton glass boats etc. They were also on shaky ground as the OPTI's were having their issues too. They ended up in a class action law suit by pissed off Merc owners who's OPTI's popped just after warranty expired. Champion went bankrupt for the second time, OMC went bankrupt and it was perfect time for Irwin Jacobs to buy the boat group from the bankruptcy courts. He picked up Champion along with Ranger, and Stratos along with the other brands. Decided that Champion had enough following and moved it to Murfreesboro TN and killed the Javelin brand, moved the molds for Champion to TN and built Stratos/Champion side by side. Killed the Hydra-sport bass boat line and moved the salt water side to Sarasota Fl. Irwin went tits up and sold off to PE who killed the TN plant and moved everything to Flippen.

8. Member
    That's the quick version, but much more truth in that.

9. Member
    It was much more than a "small market correction" that killed the company, my mom worked for OMC for 28 years. May have been the absolutely poorest run corporation on the planet. Between horrible company management, and a union local run by idiots, I am suprised it lasted as long as it did.

10. Member
    Yes but the OMC Execs had some Bad Ass Jets to use,......

Yes, there was a time that if you bought an OMC boat, (Stratos, Javelin, Hydro Sports) etc, you either got an Evinrude or Johnson. When I bought my 2000 Javelin it was only a choice of one or the other.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.