Skeeter 20i compartment gas smell

My 2006 20i has a horrible gas smell in all the compartments. I prop the back hatch when it's sitting, but it still leeches it's way throughout the boat. I cant find a leak or cracked lines. Doesnt look like this boat has a vent line except under the gas caps. Anyone else with this issue? Solutions? I cant leave any clothing in the boat for more than a day or else it reeks like fuel.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

2. Member
    that's nasty for sure. all of the non carpeted boxes on my 09 mdl have holes drilled in them. i'm not sure why the smell is so bad as the fuel is "supposed" to be contained. I get a wiff of fuel when opening the back or the very front bow area where the trolling plug is but nowhere else.

3. Member
    If you have that much gasoline vapor you have a dangerous situation.
    There has to be a leak somewhere.You might remove your drain plug and flush the hull and inspect for a sheen on the water that would indicate gasoline leakage. Only issue is if you've spilled any oil in the hull it will show up as sheen also.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

Quote Originally Posted by ken1okie View Post
    If you have that much gasoline vapor you have a dangerous situation.
    There has to be a leak somewhere.You might remove your drain plug and flush the hull and inspect for a sheen on the water that would indicate gasoline leakage. Only issue is if you've spilled any oil in the hull it will show up as sheen also.
    I've checked bilge water coming out and havent seen a sheen yet. The rear boxes are the worst and it gets minimal as you move to the front, but it's still present. It's of course worse when it's hot out, it's like the tanks arent venting properly.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

5. Member
    My former boat was a 08 20i and they all smelled like gas. I sold it to build a build a new house with a dedicated heated and cooled boat garage and just got a 2011 200ZX (sure wish I had my 20i back). The gas fumes as so bad I have to open it the doors to the garage and let it air out at least 3x a week. I have owned other brands of boats but the 2 Skeeters I have had always had issues with strong gas smells in the compartments.

I'm pretty sure it's a vent problem. If I fill my boat up in the summer months the gas smell is bad. So now I only put 10 to 15 gal in each side and it's much better. When it cools down I can fill it up without an issue..
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I have a 2008 20i and have had no issues with gas smell at all my tanks are always 3/4 full to full usually I leave my motor totter under the back lid so I know were it is
    but even when I don't I still don't notice any smell ?

8. Member
    My 07 225 does the same thing, I just leave a few lids open