Talon anchor deployed alarm

Has anyone hooked up the Green wires from their Talon(s) to the motor starting circuit to alarm if they are deployed before you take off? If so where is the best place to hook them to? I'm thinking about going right to the terminal post of any one of the instrument gauges that have 12vdc applied when the ignition key is turned to the on position.
    "Bet on a Vet, You Both Win"

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

2. Member
    I have on my last boat (Champion) and my current boat(Ranger). On the Champion I connect the alarm wire to the ignition switch and on the Ranger to the purple wire on the gauges. Both will work.
    Glen
    2017 Ranger 521C

10-4 thanks BlueChamp

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

As long as it only has 12V when the key is on you're good. I have two talons. I tied both my green wires together and then I ran another wire the same size to the dash an taped into 12V on my ignition switch. Read the replies in this post...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=504393

I have also read where people with Mercury tap into power at the motor under the cowl. I have never heard this on Evinrude or Yamaha. As previously said it only matters that it's hot only when the key is on. If you have a volt meter you can find what your looking for.

JR19
    I couldn't tap into the ignition switch for the Yamaha 175 Vmax. The switch is encapsulated. So I measured 12vdc when the switch is turned on at one of my instrument gauges. I "piggy backed" off of that terminal & the Talons alarm when deployed with the switch turned to the on position. However. They only beep for about 10sec then go quiet even with the switch still in the on position & still have the 12vdc? I'm guessing that this is normal? I would think that they would alarm the whole time until they're raised up?

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

Yes..alarm only sounds for a 5 seconds or so and then it quits. A person can easily feel the vibration and resistance when they are deployed and you put the boat in gear. Even though I have never tried to get on plane with mine deployed I have no doubt that I would know they are down as soon as I tried even with no alarm. The alarm is not a must have item but it is a nice feature to have. Sounds like yours is working correct.

10-4 thanks for the confirmation JR19. Just wanted to make sure the alarm was functioning correctly. Tite lines.������

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

8. Member
    I wish there was a way to add a light somewhere on the dash to take the place of the useless alarm.

Roger that jerzia. If the circuit board wasn't all surface mounted connections we could probably run another wire from the input back up to the console for a light.

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

10. Member
    You will know it's down. Trust me on that.

11. Member
    look for a loose purple wire in bilge area- usually, a wire that is hot with key on
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    If you have a Mercury, on the starboard side under the cowl is a purple wire that terminates with a bullet connector. This wire is to be used for diagnostic purposes, however, with a bullet connection on the Talon alarm wire it can be plugged in here. Just have to remember this would be unplugged for engine diagnostics.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]