Centering the outboard....

I have a '00 Triton TR21 PD, '00 Mercury 225 Optimax. On take off it will list to left of I try to keep it straight. If I just bring it up and let it stay level it actually goes to the right. This is a problem I noticed after I pulled engine and Jack plate off last year. Should these engines be mounted perpendicular to the boat center line? I am gonna level the transom and mark center, then plumb bob to see if it's my issue. I've taken 3 different people with me and it's done same. All were from 200 to 250 and their gear. By myself it is noticeable, but with another person, gets a little frustrating. Everything in jack plate and engine mounts and transom bracket, all pivot points good except for the lower bushing on steer shaft of lower unit that are on order and will be installed this week by me. But that little movement isn't causing my hard list with passenger. 2 batteries on port side, 1 on starboard. Gear centered in front tackle locker, rods in locker on port. Don't carry but maybe 75# total in all that. Anchor in center front storage, that's it. Fuel load doesn't effect either. Haven't tried filling just starboard side livewell, but this boat ran fine with same loads before I took Jack plate and engine off last year. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

It will naturally list to the left due to prop thrust from a typical right hand prop. Trim is a huge factor as is weight distribution in the boat. You'll find as you trim out the boat levels but if you trim down it will torque a little left. If you have a trim tab, the position affects the running of the boat once moving and will almost try to force it one way or the other if not adjusted to run straight

3. Member
    Understandable that it will list left, this is excessive though. Like I said before I removed everything it was fine. Yes it listed left, but not this bad. Never seen trim tabs on a bass boat?! On my trolling boat which is a lot heavier and always weight all over the place, yes.

4. Member
    Take all the weight you can out of the front box and put it in the passenger side box behind the passenger seat. After you load the box level the boat and see if it setting level in the water before you take off. You want everything heavy you carry in the back on the passenger side.

Sorry when I said trim tab I meant on the motor, some engines have a trim tab under the cav plate at the trailing end. I guess the million dollar question is what is different now than before you pulled it apart

6. Member
    Oh got ya on trim tab, lol! Yeah just the cav plate on this engine. I understand with the weight. But I always ran this boat loaded the way I have now as in the past. I still have to check the engine center on hull and make sure it's good. When I stand behind the boat it looks like the engine is not perpendicular to boat. I still have to check, got busy last night and didn't get a chance. Hopefully tonight I can do that. I did a quick grab and shake the poo out of it last night when I walked by, nothing loose besides the lower bushing that needs replacement. I do have Seastar hydraulic steer, it will move left-right about 1/2" or so. How tight should this be? I think I read that should be 1/4" according to Seastar? I guess what I'm getting at is how tight is everyone else's? When I get the bushings I'm gonna check everything all over again as far as all mounting holes, bolts, etc. Hopefully I figure out this week.

7. Member
    I have no play in my SeaStar hydraulic steering.

Loose steering will make your boat lean left....a lot. A boat was just in my shop with this issue. This is the second one this year.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Well guess this winter I will rebuild the cylinder to get the steering tightened up. But I am still going to check that everything else out and make sure. I know that Seastar wants you to send it back to them. Yes I know pressure test etc have access to that equipment. As long as I can get the seals, packings, etc. I will do myself. I am a heavy wrench and that little cylinder doesn't pose any problem compared to some of the other cylinders I have been into! Thanks so far!

10. Member
    After squatting and measuring everything, found engine is actually about 1/2" to starboard at the centerline of gearcase. So that being found I will pull engine and Jack plate off and re-align everything to make sure it is straight.

11. Member
    If the steering wheel moves more than 1/2" left or right before the motor starts to move you need to bleed the steering. You need to check for movement and wear at all the end bushing too. That's the ones that seastar won't sell to the public.

12. Member
    If it is off center by 1/2" then the mounting holes on the transom have to be wallowed out. The holes will need to be repaired, and re-drilled using the appropriate JIG,or the problem will likely occur again.

13. Member
    I took engine and Jack plate off last night. I had to oversize the top mounting holes on the jack plate to boat holes. Leveled, re aligned everything. Now it is mounted the way it should. I will find out tonight after work how everything works. And I found the issue on the Seastar. The jam nut on starboard side was loose. It is now tight again. Just the bushing has to be replaced and didn't get them in time, but last tournament year this weekend anyway! Thanks again everyone! But it's not a steering issue. Definitely alignment!!

14. Member
    Wallowing out holes sounds dangerous. There is a ton of force on that motor bracket. Having slop will let the motor twist, and make the holes even larger...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

15. Member
    Ran it tonight, what a difference aligning everything makes. If you look at holes on the TH Maine plate they are slotted anyway.i also bonded it with some, I know, "5200" but hey, everything is squared, trued, aligned and I know it's not gonna move on me! Sucks for next owner, but guess what, it's a boat and we all know what that stands for.