Thread: Jack plate size

Jack plate size

I just got a 1998 Jaguar with a 225 efi. It currently has a 6" plate, I was wondering if I would gain anything by swapping to a 10" plate? Better hole shot, top speed, less back wash...
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I think BCB will tell you there is no need to go bigger than an 8" setback. When your boat was new, 6" plates were the stand for BCB, I think. I'd call BCB and see what they say.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    You will probably get MORE backwash. As you move the center of gravity rearward (and moving a 500 pound motor back 4 more inches definitely moves the CG) you increase the chance of water coming over the rear. Only reason to add more set-back is if your boat requires excessive positive trim angle to achieve a proper running attitude. As you move the CG rearward with more setback, that will raise the bow automatically. If you go too far, the boat will need negative trim to get to the right running attitude and will tend to porpoise significantly until you adjust the trim at each different speed. And that will likely slow you down marginally as well. BCB used to use 6" plates, then went to 8" to provide adequate clearance for the hydraulic steering cylinder that sits in an awkward position that can contact the splash well at high trim angles.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Actually, they are playing with 4" versions now and they have found some of those produce good numbers and cleaner water quality for more bite.

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention it and you brought it up OldTimer57, the hydraulic steering cylinder hits the splashwell. The previous owner never mentioned it to me and i didnt notice until i cut what looks like a water temp wire. So I was thinking more setback would "solve" that problem. Im also asking because the one on there is mounted on the 3rd hole from the top. My old boat was mounted on the 2nd hole. My prop is blowing out, so I was going to mount the jack plate lower. And if Im taking it off, now would be the time to replace it if there was a better set back option.

6. Member
    Isn't that for motors like the v-rod and such that have a built-in setback in the mounting bracket? Or does it work for Pro XS and similar motors?
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Member
    Is this manual (slide master) or hydraulic? The plate you have ought to clear the splash well unless there is something odd about how the cylinder is mounted. Is the contact on the inside of the splash well on the actual transom right below the motor? Can you see the model number of the hydraulic cylinder and post it here?
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Its a manual plate. Here are a couple pictures of it. Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images