Benefits of 4 Blade Prop?

Hey all,

Got a quick question. I just purchased a new to me 170W Stinger. The prop on it is a 13x17 on the 70HP 2 stroke Yamaha. It is really worn so I'm open to opinions/experiences. I'm getting roughly 5,600 out of my current prop(stock aluminum). I'm likely sticking with aluminum. Is there any benefits to the same pitch in a 4 blade?

2. Member
    Better hole shot and rough water grip....also handling can benefit. For a 70hp and lightweight hull I would think a 3 blade would suffice.

Cons that I know of are slower top end and some 4 blades don't power load as well.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Better hole shot and rough water grip....also handling can benefit. For a 70hp and lightweight hull I would think a 3 blade would suffice.

Cons that I know of are slower top end and some 4 blades don't power load as well.
    Aren't these 2 contradicting statements. The same thing that makes it have a better hole shot would make it power load better, wouldn't it?

4. Member
    not if you can't turn it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    Aren't these 2 contradicting statements. The same thing that makes it have a better hole shot would make it power load better, wouldn't it?

5. Member
    You will get better hole shot with a 4 blade but you should drop down to a 15". I run a 13x19 4 blade and it gets on plane in less than 4 seconds. Top speed is 52mph. My 13.25x21 3 blade takes about 2 seconds longer to get on plane but tops out at 57mph. The 4 blade seems more stable at speed.

6. Member
    How fast are you going at WOT now with the 17" prop? Your about 400 rpm's down right now and a four blade in the same pitch will drop you another 150-200 rpm's.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    How fast are you going at WOT now with the 17" prop? Your about 400 rpm's down right now and a four blade in the same pitch will drop you another 150-200 rpm's.
    Ok all, I double checked today(this boat is new to me a week ago). I was told the prop was a 17 pitch, it's actual the yamaha 13x19 K prop. I'm hitting 5,650ish RPM at 35mph on a really badly dinged up prop. When new I was told it would do 38mph. I do plan to ad a 6" jack plate in the spring, I've run them before and enjoyed the extra ability to run in certain conditions and overall gain a small margin of speed.

8. Member
    That prop is stainless steel isn't it? Are you running loaded or light? You need to test it loaded like you'll run most of the time. Running lite you need your rpm's closer to 6000.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    That prop is stainless steel isn't it? Are you running loaded or light? You need to test it loaded like you'll run most of the time. Running lite you need your rpm's closer to 6000.
    It is aluminum. These speeds/rpms were taken loaded(rods/tackle/3 batteries/etc)with 2 guys in the boat. I can test more speeds this Saturday with just myself and my 3 year old but I'm expecting quite similar results being only 100lbs less than the current test.

This boat with the current prop planes out like now, there's no lag time. My guess is 2-3 seconds an I'm on step even with 2 guys. I do have a hydrofoil on it which I'm sure certainly helps.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor ms View Post
    not if you can't turn it...

Duh? If you can't turn it, it won't be worth a crap at anything.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    My Fury 4 power loads better then any 3 blade I have had , Raker, Tempest plus, Fury 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    My Fury 4 power loads better then any 3 blade I have had , Raker, Tempest plus, Fury 3.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

13. Member
    My Bravo 1 power load my boat as good as my 3 blade props. Had a trophy plus, was a dud power loading

14. Member
    Trophy's don't power load very well at all.

No prop is gonna power load very good if it has a lot of venting. Unless you spin it up 4k.