Explain how you use your hydraulic jackplate

Not a novice to boating, 10+ years in the drivers seat, but I've never had a hydraulic jackplate. Looking at buying a newer boat and will get one with a hydraulic jackplate when I do. Just wondering what is your operating routine from unloading til you load back up? I've watched youtube and got somewhat of an idea on things to do. Kinda like on take off some boats like jackplate all the way up motor trimmed down and some like it with jackplate all the way down. Appreciate any comments.

2. Member
    Depends on lots of things.

In general, you can raise motor for take-off, to get the thrust line up higher on the transom to keep bow rise down. Then, as you break over onto plane, you need to have been lowering motor so that it doesn't blow out too badly and fall back in the water. Now you have to play. You want to trim motor reasonably vertical so that you are not throwing a huge rooster tail by using the trim button. Once you maximize speed, then start to slowly raise the motor and watch the speedo / GPS. Raise until speed drops, then back down to the sweet spot. That sweet spot can change based on load, passengers, wind, etc. You can raise the motor in shallow water, you can lower it in extra rough water, etc.

Lots of things you can do with it. Improve performance (max speed), improve hole shot. Run in shallow water without having to trim way up. Not an absolute necessity, but a nice luxury if you have one and take the time to experiment with it.

And the kicker is, every different boat will like slightly different approaches to the height.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Thanks. Gives me something to start with. Sounds like it'll take some playing with to learn what to do.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post

Once you maximize speed, then start to slowly raise the motor and watch the speedo / GPS. Raise until speed drops, then back down to the sweet spot.
    IMO I would never change the jackplate height at speed, you are flirting with disaster. Raise it to high and some scary things can happen when a prop looses it's bite at high speeds. This could have dangerous consequences, especially for a beginner not 100% familiar with the boat and high speed driving. I would suggest making a full speed run note the RPM and speed, slow down and raise it 1/4" and make another run. Compare the information and make adjustments accordingly.