Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Dobyns 741

2. Member
    I spent some time with the Megabass F3-611xxs drop shot rod. It casts a lot better, loads up easy and seemed to have long accurate casts. Didn't catch any hogs to test the rod with a heavy fish but I think it will be fine.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    I spent some time with the Megabass F3-611xxs drop shot rod. It casts a lot better, loads up easy and seemed to have long accurate casts. Didn't catch any hogs to test the rod with a heavy fish but I think it will be fine.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The pixy would be perfect for a spybait casting setup. I tried my Megabass F5 XX Diablo Spec R but it was a little to heavy and never felt right. I'm going to also try the 90 on the Megabass F4.5 XX Flatside Special I picked up last week - it has a more parabolic action than the Spec R.
    Update for those who might be interested in and/or prefer using casting gear for spybaiting.....

This past weekend I was on waters where we have caught many nice smallies spybaiting and used this opportunity to tie on a Duo Spinbait 90 onto the Megabass F4.5 XX Flatside Special. I paired it up with a Tatula CT P (5.5:1) spooled with 10# Sunline FC Sniper. This combo felt much better in hand than the Diablo Spec-R and had no problem bombing the 90 out there. As far as handling fish goes, it took all of three casts before I was in a tussle with a very active 4.87 lb smallie. The FSS has a much more parabolic action than the GLX 852C JWR I've been using for spybaits but the rod was very responsive to the aerials and headshakes that a big pissed off smallie tends to dish out and had no problem getting this one and numerous smallies in the 3.5 lb range into the boat. I didn't have any smallies become unpinned on this outing and that's pretty rare for me when chucking a spybait. I'm going to give the FSS more of a workout using the smaller 80 G-Fix and the Arashi but based on this experience I'd be surprised the FSS didn't do the job. Looks to me like I've found another rod I can use for spybaiting.....

5. Member
    Nice wright up.

Sleeper rod for very inexpensive for those who don't want to jump in for a high dollar, technique specific rod is the Hammer 7'6" medium spinning rod. This rod will load and launch a Duo Realis Spinbait 80 or 90, or a G-FIX 80 a great distance. It has a nice mod fast taper that really keeps fish pinned, and the length and power to control fish once hooked up.

7. Member
    Not to hijack the thread but I haven't thrown my spybaits yet but plan on it soon. I've got three spinning rods that may work for them (Storm Arashi, Jackall IProp). 1)7' medium Fenwick with a fast/moderate action, 2)6'9" medium/light Abu Garcia Vendetta with a fast action, 3) 7' medium/light Cabelas Walleye rod with a extra fast tip. Wondering which way I should go. Also should I use one of my Pflueger reels that has a 26" per handle turn retrieve or one of my Daiwas with a 34" retrieve?

8. Member
    Buggy are you using the factory hooks or have you changed them out?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but I haven't thrown my spybaits yet but plan on it soon. I've got three spinning rods that may work for them (Storm Arashi, Jackall IProp). 1)7' medium Fenwick with a fast/moderate action, 2)6'9" medium/light Abu Garcia Vendetta with a fast action, 3) 7' medium/light Cabelas Walleye rod with a extra fast tip. Wondering which way I should go. Also should I use one of my Pflueger reels that has a 26" per handle turn retrieve or one of my Daiwas with a 34" retrieve?
    I can't really speak about any of those rods, I never used any of them. I would suggest spoiling up a reel and trying it out on all of them to see which rod casts the best and which one can handle a fish best then make a decision. On the reels I'm in the same situation as I don't know the spool sizes and ratio. I would use a lower gear ratio if possible, 5:3:1, 5:5:1.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medicpelle View Post
    Buggy are you using the factory hooks or have you changed them out?
    Factory hooks.

Best rod I have used is the Gloomis GLX 842 with a shimano metanium 13, its my go to for spybaits and jerkbaits, one of my favorite rods.
    When I use a spinning rod I use the Megabass Addermine, to me it feels like a medium light spinning rod and it also works excellent.
    I use the 80 size spybaits.

As for Dobyns I will be getting a extreme HP ordered this week for ned rigs and will most likely be going with the 741.

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Also should I use one of my Pflueger reels that has a 26" per handle turn retrieve or one of my Daiwas with a 34" retrieve?
    I can't speak to the rods but for your choice of reel, I would use the one with the best drag. If you are fishing smaliies, you'll be hearing that drag a lot.....

13. Member
    I throw mine on a dobyns extreme 702'casting rod with a Abu Ltz reel.

14. Member
    After trying lots of rods, my favorite spinning rod is a mojo bass 7'1MF, and favorite baitcasting rod is daiwa cronos 7'MLR. Use the same line on both setups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12