Thread: Safety teathers

Safety teathers

Good day all
    i currently have a 225 pro xs on my bass boat. I have been doing lost of searching on the web and have seen a device for out board motors. It is a cable device not to allow the motor to fly into the boat if you hit something at high speeds.
    i see the pros are using them.
    i would like to hear if the normal weekend warriors are using them, any pros and cons appreaciated
    thanks
    JEbass

2. Member
    I'm NOT using one, and I haven't see any used in the tournaments that I have fished.

3. Member
    I believe you are thinking of the product called the "Leash". You can do a google search of the product and check it out. Seems like a good product but a little pricey. Just depends on what everyone thinks is to much to pay for safety! I personally like the idea and product however, I do not have one, yet!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidebassin' View Post
    I believe you are thinking of the product called the "Leash". You can do a google search of the product and check it out. Seems like a good product but a little pricey. Just depends on what everyone thinks is to much to pay for safety! I personally like the idea and product however, I do not have one, yet!
    Sweet jeebus! They sure are proud of that thing!

I'd like to see a video of the product actually working before investing. Another benefit if it keeps the motor from submerging, it would pay for itself.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    A lot of old timers just leave their rear seat in... I assume that they are hoping the seat will deflect the motor to one side if it cut loose.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

7. Member
    Some guys around here run them. I would like to get one as I have to think it would be better than nothing but I just can't see spending that much on that item.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I'd like to see a video of the product actually working before investing. Another benefit if it keeps the motor from submerging, it would pay for itself.
    Yes they need to destroy some boats and motors for video, they are a board sponsor
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Mike Iaconelli runs one now. Those old timers usually have the seats unfolded and flying like a flag too.

I wonder how many motors they have saved

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Mike Iaconelli runs one now. Those old timers usually have the seats unfolded and flying like a flag too.
    Ike should!!! He's torn up more boats and motors than carter has liver pills.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Yes they need to destroy some boats and motors for video, they are a board sponsor

So, because they are a board sponsor, that immediately excludes them from demonstrating their product is legitimate?

It's called testing, and sometimes its destructive, but necessary to corroborate what is claimed.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    Question that I have is how common is this issue??? To add to that question, if its an issue why have the outboard companies not done something about this??