Thoughts on the z518c

Is there a built in setback on the z518c or is the pad a true 18'8"?

Is it big enough to make long (30-45min) runs in tournaments?

Is it big enough for me and my 2 boys ages 2 an 5?

2. Member
    No built in setback that I'm aware of.
    If you fish is decent to heavy chop 30-45 min will become 45min to 1 hr.
    Plenty big enough for your crew. I've fished 3 200 lb men in mine several times and it hasn't been an issue.

My tournament partner has this rig. It rides and fishes great. We're old enough (65) that when it's rough, we slow down! So, I can't comment on the WFO throttle ride in rough water. It will fit you and your kids fine. My only concern is that my partner likes to side-arm cast crankbaits with a 7 foot rod. When he does, self preservation forces me to step to the back of the rear deck to avoid getting hooked!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I believe it comes with a jackplate as standard equipment. I have heard they go 70 mph (200 hp motor) trimmed out. Plenty big enough for dad and 2 fishing buds. :) I have the little bro, Z118C (150 HP, 8" slidemaster JP, same exact hull as the Z518C), fits in the garage straight. however I do only have about an inch to spare. Agree with the guys above, you will want to slow down in choppy water. Here in AZ our lakes are not that big, the choppiest water I have been on is Roosevelt Lake, wind chop. I did go WOT trimmed out, it was bumpy, but it skipped along the top of the waves. Was far better than going slower and spearing a waves. Keep in mind the fuel capacity. A local pro told me he used his dad's Z518C in a tournament back east, and he said he was very impressed with boat. Said it went 72 mph, handled the bigger water just fine, but did mention he had to monitor how far he went based on the fuel capacity, 37 gallons. At WOT, the merc 200 HP is burning approx. 19 gallons per hour.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

5. Member
    I have the 150hp version and what everyone is saying is spot on. Boat is decent in medium water but it's not going to go through 3-4s' waves like a 20' will. It can handle it you just have to use your head. The cockpit area on these boats is huge imo so two kids would be no problem. I take my wife and 5 year old out and no one is cramped for space. Great boat if you ask me
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

6. Member
    You will be fine. It does have some setback Very nice ride for its size. I replaced a Z119 with a Z518C and the ride is as good if not better. I have done 30 min runs on the Chesapeake with chop wide open. Its a blast. Yes big stuff you will need to slow down. I can do 68 full tank of gas and livewell and 2 people. I have yet to play with settings. I'm sure it will do 70.

7. Moderator
    I have a Z518. I fish with my 7 and 10 year old all the time. Of course you can make runs with it. Mine has a 200 and when it's calm out, I can run with most boats out there. Honestly it's faster than most boats in tournaments. With me and my 2 kids, we run 68+ all the time and 70 solo.

It's a 70+ mph boat all day long. Smooth ride and Ver nimble. You won't be disappointed.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I have a Z518. I fish with my 7 and 10 year old all the time. Of course you can make runs with it. Mine has a 200 and when it's calm out, I can run with most boats out there. Honestly it's faster than most boats in tournaments. With me and my 2 kids, we run 68+ all the time and 70 solo.
    rosuallu: Would you mind sharing the set-up for the Z518C? Prop selection, and P-P measurement? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    It's a 70+ mph boat all day long. Smooth ride and Ver nimble. You won't be disappointed.
    +1
    The Z518 is an awesome boat for it's size. It has a large front deck that is plenty big enough for 2 adults to fish off of. There is lots of storage space for plenty of rods, tackle and snacks for the kids. With a 200hp motor they will run 70+ as stated above, but with a 150hp it will still run in the low 60's. The boat is very stable. You don't need a large garage to store it in. I take my 9yr old Granddaughter and my son, no problem.
    Last edited by Z518 Comanche; 09-16-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Angler's Choice Martinsville VA

2015 Ranger Z518c