Thread: Promax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Promax

So of you guys that have ran a promax prop.

And great midrange but what have you done about holeshot. I was working with Jay and Geoff on 85 mph times and I am getting a couple bow hops on holeshot that I know are killing me. I tried Trimming as I broke over and trimming after breaking over with similar results.

I do not have a working trim guage so I have to feel it out but it seems it is about 3 seconds faster to 85 for me even with the bow bouncing on holeshot.

I have not installed a foil because it was needed with the XOB but I am wondering is anyone running the following

A foil with the promax prop... noticably change or not noticable? Does it leave flatter?

Any experience with a small barrel extension or flair? I don't think a little extra stern lift would hurt the prop. The pad was very planted and doesn't dance around like the XOB on top.

Very easy to drive but due to holeshot not sure if I would choose it over XOB?

3 seconds quicker vs holeshot I didn't even have to worry about trimming down for. If I could get it to leave without bouncing and had a trim guage I think it could be a few seconds quicker still...

2. Member
    One more thing this prop is way less trim sensitive I could see this prop benefiting from the 10" setback

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    The flaired ring from Lee should help. I have only run with my 28 Promax without the ring.. I have a 30 with the ring I have yet to use. I also have another ring for the 28 to install at a later date if I choose to!

5. Member
    Anyone use the vent control ring? What is it made of plastic metal or rubber? Could it be machined to vent a little and allow for dialing in with pvs plugs? Rubber cannot be machine but aluminum or metal could be?

6. BBC SPONSOR
    The ring from mercury is plastic the best I remember...i have one on the bullet.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

7. Member
    mark croxton has them made in metal 30.00

8. Member
    Lee has them in aluminum...

9. Member
    The one that press on on the motor side? I don't think I want to add anything to backside unless it's last resort

10. Member
    I'll go take a couple pictures.. brb

11. Member
    Send me a text @ 203-nine8132sixty for pics of a 28 without the ring but ring in hand and a 30 with ring... New phone and not sure how to make the pics BBC friendly..

Dan

12. BBC SPONSOR
    That is the flare ring, they also make a cavitation ring for the other side.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

13. Member
    NOTGSXR would you sell that prop back to me. Or send it back to me so I could try it on my current set up? I have the plastic blow out ring that I tried on the 30 Promax that NOTGSXR has on my last boat it would kill the hole shot even with no plugs in. Its thin enough that I don't think you could remove much other wise it wouldnt stay in place. Maybe with a metal one you would be able to cut some slots in the ring to try to tune it but I think the slots would be too small to matter.

14. Member
    Any of you guys running a cavitation foilon lower unit? I feel if the boat launched flat the spin up would be much less. It spins as bow drops..

15. Member
    Had one on my last boat didn't make a difference in that respect.

16. Member
    With the promax prop or in general?

17. Member
    Both. Thats why I sold the Promax. But I would like it back now. For the price of the foil it didn't really have much effect on the hole shot and it didn't change a thing with on the spin up out of the hole with the Promax. Plus you have to deal with it when you remove the lower unit.

18. Member
    Interesting

19. BBC SPONSOR
    The foil made my bow rise less but made the boat behave badly with a stern lifting prop like the X-O/B. I also lost 6 mph on the big end and a crap load of handling.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-11-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast