Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Or when they take their Bass boat off the trailer?

Last year a guy backs his boat down the ramp and stops about 10' from the water. Unstraps everything and gets back in his truck. Backs the boat into the water and hits the brakes, boat slowly floats off the trailer and he takes off in his truck. Nobody in the boat.WTF? He parks the truck and walks to the dock while the boat keeps getting further and further away from land. He has a lanyard around his neck and hits a button from a key fob. The troll motor goes into the water and he steers the boat towards the dock. Gets in the boat, hits the button again and the troll motor goes back up while he cranks up the outboard and takes off. First time I've seen someone launch their boat that way. Good way to stay dry especially in the winter time.
    Given your location, I'm betting that was a good friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    Given your location, I'm betting that was a good friend of mine.
    If he goes to East Bank Park Boat launch on Lake Lanier, then it's probably him, lol

3. Member
    You have not seen "CRAZY" at a launch ramp until you have watch people at the public ramp on island at Lake Havasu on a holiday weekend. We would side out in boat an watch for hours.... Fights, missing boats missing trailer and hitting concrete ramp, driving off dragging motor. You name it it happens their.

Worked at a car dealer who's owner loved bass fishing. Sponsored local tournaments. Well he dropped his brand new fully loaded Ranger on the ramp one day. Brought in a crane to get it back on trailer.
    Semper Fi

4. Member
    Or when they take their Bass boat off the trailer?

Last year a guy backs his boat down the ramp and stops about 10' from the water. Unstraps everything and gets back in his truck. Backs the boat into the water and hits the brakes, boat slowly floats off the trailer and he takes off in his truck. Nobody in the boat.WTF? He parks the truck and walks to the dock while the boat keeps getting further and further away from land. He has a lanyard around his neck and hits a button from a key fob. The troll motor goes into the water and he steers the boat towards the dock. Gets in the boat, hits the button again and the troll motor goes back up while he cranks up the outboard and takes off. First time I've seen someone launch their boat that way. Good way to stay dry especially in the winter time.
    This is the Ulterra. I have that trolling motor and have launched my boat that way a few times. It always makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    You have not seen "CRAZY" at a launch ramp until you have watch people at the public ramp on island at Lake Havasu on a holiday weekend. We would side out in boat an watch for hours.... Fights, missing boats missing trailer and hitting concrete ramp, driving off dragging motor. You name it it happens their.
    Like this guy? Lol.

I saw some videos where theirs a restaurant next to the boat launch where people are fighting and doing stupid stuff on Havasu. I'll post them up later....

Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    This is the Ulterra. I have that trolling motor and have launched my boat that way a few times. It always makes me nervous.

Yep, that trolling motor but the guy I saw on Lanier had an old boat.

7. Member
    Like this guy? Lol.

I saw some videos where theirs a restaurant next to the boat launch where people are fighting and doing stupid stuff on Havasu. I'll post them up later....
    Yes sir!!! That is the $h!+ I was referring to. Brings back memories. We would laughter so hard it hurt.
    Semper Fi

Yes sir!!! That is the $h!+ I was referring to. Brings back memories. We would laughter so hard it hurt.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the hell he was thinking? Backing up then nails it going forward????? Why????

9. Member
    I b et that was a pricey day!!! More money than brains that's for sure

Havasu brings out the best. Id venture to say the hp/experience ratio is the worst there than anywhere else in the usa

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    I'm still trying to figure out what the hell he was thinking? Backing up then nails it going forward????? Why????

I agree im so confused. How come when he was backing up the kid video says oh no? So many questions, my head is spinning.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    I agree im so confused. How come when he was backing up the kid video says oh no? So many questions, my head is spinning.
    I believe that video was on here before and the explanation was something like: the throttle went open and stuck when he went into reverse, then he panicked and slammed it into forward.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    I believe that video was on here before and the explanation was something like: the throttle went open and stuck when he went into reverse, then he panicked and slammed it into forward.
    What it looked like to me. Not sure why the guy didn't just shut it down.

14. Member
    My favorite is when a guy was trying to get up the ramp with his parking brake applied. Thought he was going to snap the axle.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    What it looked like to me. Not sure why the guy didn't just shut it down.
    Exactly, that would have been the smart thing to do.
    If he did that, we wouldn't have his video to get a chuckle from tho

16. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    After launching yesterday afternoon, I was starting to ease away from the lakefront when I noticed a young couple with an older Skeeter bassboat, several lanes down, struggling to get it on the trailer. As with a many such cases, yes... the trailer was way too deep. Add in the very stout crosswind that was blowing and I could see there was no way they were going to get it done... In fact, the winch strap was the only thing keeping the boat from getting completely away from them.

Despite the very real danger to my "Asshat" status as a Nitro owner, I idled toward them and told them to hold on while l beach my boat and I'd help out. The young man said, "You don't have to do that." But, as I said, it wasn't going to happen without someone helping them.

Turns out, they'd only had the boat out a couple of times since buying it and it'd been several weeks since using it last. This day, they'd made the mistake of floating it before knowing the outboard would crank... the battery wouldn't turn it over enough to fire.

I ended up getting in the water (just barely up to the boys ) on that snot-slick ramp and somehow, in all that wind, the young man and I managed to get the boat past the submerged fender and squared over the trailer while his wife pulled forward just enough to let the bunks catch it... we were able to winch it the remainder of the way.

Yeah... We've all seen the clowns at ramps who provide a lot of comic relief at times. And in those cases, it's usually best just to stand aside and enjoy the show. In this case, though, it was just some young folks, fairly new to boat ownership, who'd made a rookie mistake (we were all rookies at some point). Both of these kids were very respectful, apologetic and thankful for the assist, and I'd wager they won't make that same mistake again.

And who knows... next week it may be me who needs the help.
    Who controls John Gill?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    After launching yesterday afternoon, I was starting to ease away from the lakefront when I noticed a young couple with an older Skeeter bassboat, several lanes down, struggling to get it on the trailer. As with a many such cases, yes... the trailer was way too deep. Add in the very stout crosswind that was blowing and I could see there was no way they were going to get it done... In fact, the winch strap was the only thing keeping the boat from getting completely away from them.

Despite the very real danger to my "Asshat" status as a Nitro owner, I idled toward them and told them to hold on while l beach my boat and I'd help out. The young man said, "You don't have to do that." But, as I said, it wasn't going to happen without someone helping them.

Turns out, they'd only had the boat out a couple of times since buying it and it'd been several weeks since using it last. This day, they'd made the mistake of floating it before knowing the outboard would crank... the battery wouldn't turn it over enough to fire.

I ended up getting in the water (just barely up to the boys ) on that snot-slick ramp and somehow, in all that wind, the young man and I managed to get the boat past the submerged fender and squared over the trailer while his wife pulled forward just enough to let the bunks catch it... we were able to winch it the remainder of the way.

Yeah... We've all seen the clowns at ramps who provide a lot of comic relief at times. And in those cases, it's usually best just to stand aside and enjoy the show. In this case, though, it was just some young folks, fairly new to boat ownership, who'd made a rookie mistake (we were all rookies at some point). Both of these kids were very respectful, apologetic and thankful for the assist, and I'd wager they won't make that same mistake again.

Shayne O'Brien
    2019 Princecraft Resorter 160BT, Mercury 40 HP 4-Stroke
    2023 Can Am Maverick X3 DS Turbo
    2024 Ski-Doo Renegade Enduro 900R Turbo

18. Member
    Had a guy yesterday morning parked on the ramp with truck still hooked to boat,respooling line on his reels.

19. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

That my friend is why it is free entertainment on long weekends!
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast