Thread: Injector Fault

Injector Fault

S/N: 0T999280. I recently replaced my spark plugs and spark plug wires. Took the boat to the lake a couple of days ago and she would not get on plane. I did not get a warning beep, but I did get an alarm on my MercMonitor Level 1 that read "Injector Fault". I idled back to the ramp and loaded her back onto the trailer. I took the cowling off and inspected the coil plugs, injector harness plugs (all 12), and spark plug wires to make sure everything was connected and not loose. I did not have this fault before I changed the plugs, so I figure it is something I messed up. I guess it is possible that I pinched a wire or something when I put the lower cowlings back on. There are a lot of wire harnesses on the starboard side down in that area. Anybody ever have this alarm? Any ideas? She is in the shop, but just wanted to get some opinions/thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

Just to follow up, the shop called today and they found something very simple was wrong. They said that my kill switch was not making up all of the way and it was causing other codes as well. I will follow up with more details on what codes when I get the boat back. Seems odd that the kill switch circuit would even allow the boat to run at all if the circuit was not made up good.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I wouldn't be placing any bets on that explanation...

Emergency Stop Faults are likely caused from your lanyard being tested (such as before tournaments).

I suspect you have a dirty connection on one of the fuel injectors... or perhaps the rubber seal is missing. Copies of printouts from the Computer Diagnostic System would help to narrow it down to one particular injector harness or connector.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I wouldn't be placing any bets on that explanation...

Emergency Stop Faults are likely caused from your lanyard being tested (such as before tournaments).

I suspect you have a dirty connection on one of the fuel injectors... or perhaps the rubber seal is missing. Copies of printouts from the Computer Diagnostic System would help to narrow it down to one particular injector harness or connector.
    They are working on a steering leak at the helm right now. When I get the boat back, I will email you copies of the printouts. They did say that they put a brand new injector in the cylinder that had the injector fault, and it still threw the alarm code until they addressed the kill switch. The lanyard is apparently not the correct one, so he said that the toggle switch was not made up all of the way. The lanyard has always been a pain to put back in behind the toggle switch when it gets pulled loose, either accidentally or to test it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by eliteangler; 09-13-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: more info
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X