Food plot seed options ???

Looking to start planting in the next week or so. Has anyone else experienced the outrageous pricing of winter wheat seed ???? WOW Anyone out there have any places that they get pretty good deals on their food plot seed ???? My deer love wheat and oats become a close second and i already have clover up and going but as soon as it gets cold, it will be gone for the season. Any recommendations will be great. Soybean, clay peas, radishes, sugar beets, etc.... dont really do well here because of the somewhat sandy ground dirt we have. Not to mention you would have to put out alot of lime to get your ph up high enough where it could grow. Thats why the wheat, oats, rye grass etc... do so well.

2. Member
    I am going to plant buckwheat from now on. Hancock seed is where I get all my stuff
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Clemmons and Hamner seed...look up clemmonsandhamnerseed.com
    Won't let me post the link...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 09-10-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    I planted 3 acres of a mix of rape seed, canola, purple turnips, white clover, ladina clover , and red clover. I will probably plant two more acres of winter oats if I get a chance. Cutting back on my plots a bit also. Just mowed the foxtail down in the clover plots. Last years clover looks pretty good.

$10.50/50# bag of winter wheat here in Indiana. I put in realworld wildlife winter oats. Buddy of mine got a dealership started. Threw some purple top turnips in with them. Got 1.5 acres of this mix setting next to 2 acres of standing corn.

6. Member
    Hey Aaron...what kind of oats do you plant? I plant Bob Oats, and it might just be me but they seem to do better than other oats I have planted. Heck, they might be the same as feed oats for all I know. If so, maybe I just want to think they do better because I paid more for them! I have tried the old Buck Forage oats and different ones and the Bob oats seem to get a better yield and seem to make it through the cold a little better. Good luck this season my Friend

Thanks Mr Eddie, i ended up using bob oats and not the oats for "deer" seed. They are all the same put into different bags, but they put a $ markup on them to catch the person planting them. HAPPENS with more products than most people are even aware of. Take care buddy and good luck to you as well

I've planted the regular feed oats from the feed store next to buck forage oats. The regular feed oats were not touched. just an observation.

9. Member
    yetti-I gave a bag of the Bob oats to a friend of mine who is going to plant them in the same food plot to see if they prefer the Bob oats to the feed oats. The only ones who have ever told me that the Bob oats are the same as feed oats have been those who work at the sporting goods/feed stores where I tried to buy Bob oats and all they had was the feed variety. I have tried the feed oats a time or two and did not get a very good crop from them. Seemed like probably half of the seed didn't produce. But I've had such good success out of the Bob oats that I will continue to buy them to plant.

10. Member
    Paid 8.50 a bag for Rye and it thrives in sand. Used it for forty years I think it draws better than wheat.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

I will pick some up this coming weekend and get some out. Never tried it, but ive heard some say it gets bitter tasting to the deer and later in the season, they just wont eat it anymore. How they know, i have never asked