Don Williams, the legend that almost never was...

The career of Don Williams is something unique. He was actually going to just become a songwriter and not persue a singing career. He didn't think he had what it took to make it as a solo artist. He had been with a folk group that had disbanded and started writing with Cowboy Jack Clements record company down in Texas. Then A guy named Dickey Lee from Memphis had become friends with a guy named Allen Reynolds and they moved to Texas to record and write with Clements, then they convinced Bob Mcdill to come with them. Well They convinced Don into cutting some songs and the rest is history. That group of guys to me has made the greatest music to ever come out of Nashville. Google them and see all the songs that were hits. It's really amazing. Then Allen went on to produce and record Garth Brooks. Don Williams was just a great laid back singer who really didn't understand what the fuss was all about, it just came natural. If you ever ge the chance get on the country music hall of fames website and click on their poets & prophets and watch those 3 guys interviews and see how all of it came about.

2. Member
    Love to hear about the song writers, sure singing is a talent but song writing amazes me. My opinion they are the true talent.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Great country signer

4. Member
    RIP