Vehicle opinions needed!

Hey there friends!

The wife is currently driving a Toyota Rav 4. We got it on the preferred option program. It's about up and we are thinking of giving the Rav4 back and going with an older full size SUV again.
    Here's what we are looking at. I found a 2011 Tahoe Z71 that is pretty much loaded; moon roof, DVD, leather, etc.... It has 153,000 miles on it. I can probably buy it for $16,000.
    I found another Tahoe that is a 2008 Z71 that is also loaded, moon roof, DVD, Nav, leather, two tone seats, all captians chairs, etc... It has 150,000 miles on it. I can buy it for $9500.

Which one would you go for? I like the thought of having less than 10 grand in a vehicle.

See ya, HatfieldHog

2. Member
    Both have the older 5.3, think the 11 has the six speed? That's not worth the difference to me. Do both have excellent service records? If so, I'd buy the 08. You can do a butt load of repairs for 6500.00.

3. Member
    2008 all the way. Not enough difference in them to spend the difference.

I thought there were some years that the 5.3 had issues with the valve train, lifters, pushrods etc....

5. Member
    There both third gen. (same body) I'd go with the 08 and have the AFM deleted immediately. Great motor that'll go a lot of miles. With proper maintenance.

6. Banned
    Thats alot of miles.

7. Banned
    Lot of miles on them for me also but if i had to pick one it would be the 08 more than likely.

For me that is a lot of miles that I didn't personally put on a vehicle.. now my truck is an 08 non afm with 205k that I trust but it does use a bit of oil when I tow the boat lot now.... It's a hard 205k miles that I've put on that truck....I like the motor, if it does mess up it's easy to fix most of the time with mine Jacky but I know folks who have had problems... I do like the idea of my wife having a bigger vehicle and I can't convince Amber of that.. drives me insane.... She drives a Liberty and a Wrangler....good thing is all ours are paid for but we have a car lot for 2 folks
    With our 2 trucks and 2 jeeps and 1 non running IROC...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    Getting the 08 will put you close to the worst time they 5.3 had with oil consumption which started with mine a 2007. Overall, the engine is just annoying when you have to add 2 or 3 quarts between changes, it runs good. Therestof the vehicle is what sucks from rear end whine, transmission trouble, inefficient AC and body rot. Just to name a few, not naming failed switches and speakers.

10. Member
    I have a 2003 Tahoe I bought new for my wife. Best vehicle we have ever owned. 198,000 miles yesterday. One new battery,brakes,and a fuel pump.Thats it except service. BUT 08-2010 all use some oil. Mostly due to the strain on engine from cylinder cancellation system. If you buy the 08 I would delete this system. I have many friends that have done this and it immediately decreased oil consumption. 2011 up this has not been a big problem at all. You would lose a few mpg. I have never liked Fords. But if I had to get a new vehicle I would seriously look at one. I am dropping my head as I say that!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    I thought there were some years that the 5.3 had issues with the valve train, lifters, pushrods etc....
    Indeed, but if they haven't popped by 150,000 they are ok. Mine went south at 40,000. My FIL's popped at 20,000. I kept an 08 Avalanche until I traded for the 14 Silverado (Shakerado) sure wish I'd kept the 2008!! They are both GM and you can expect nit noid crap with them.

Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    I have a 2008 5.3 in my Sierra and it is fine but it does use oil. That is a typical complaint and is seems to be due to the functionality that turns cylinders off when not needed. You can disable that in the computer with the right tool. I've also heard of people rebuilding them for about $3k and just removing all the stuff that provides that feature. Wouldn't be a bad idea on an engine with that kind of mileage.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Banned
    Unless you are a very, very low mileage driver, go with a much lower mile vehicle. My 03 diesel 3/4 ton truck only has 135k miles.

I bought the grandson a 05 Tahoe and the 5.3 engine expired with about the miles you're talking about.