Now the waiting begins

I had been looking at a Eagle 176 but they stop making them for 2018. So I put in a order for a Sportsman 17 with a 90hp Yamaha. This is going to go in places that my glass rig can't reach. I am going to use it primarily for backwater rivers, mill ponds and small lakes. Upgraded to a MK Edge 70 trolling motor as some of the waters I will be fishing are tidal. I opted to go with marine grade vinyl instead of carpet due to the places I will be fishing. Also upgraded the sonar/gps to a Elite9 Ti and aluminum trailer over the painted one. Build time including delivery and prep 4-6 weeks.

2. Member
    Great upgrades with vinyl floor and aluminum trailer. Sounds like a great rig. Enjoy

3. Member
    I have that same setup. The only thing I don't like about it is the livewell. When its full and you are running the water gets to moving front to back and you can actually feel it in the boat. I wish there was some kind of way to put a baffle in it so slow the water down. I ended up removing the rod holders because the rod box would only hold 4 or 5 rods. They came out easy and now using rod socks I can hold 10 rods with room to spare.

4. Member
    I was thinking about removing the rod holders as well. Maybe a livewell divider that ran lengthways would slow down the water motion?

5. Member
    The vinyl cleans up easily, hooks don't get caught in it. Bad thing is it gets hot and not as comfortable to stand on as carpet.
    I would still choose it over carpet.
    For the livewell issue, would a piece of plexiglass, cut to fit, with holes drilled in it work? As a baffle? Would need to glue something in to hold it, and be removable.
    Check tinboats.net, I think I remember reading about someone do that.

6. Member
    Picked up the boat last week and have started to go through it and load equipment. Trying to figure out the best places to store what items. Hope to get it on the water next week to start the engine break in time.

7. Member
    Is the 17 a center console? I would keep the rod holders, they have been handy for the "BOB" (back of boat) guy on my CC G3.

8. Member
    what helped you decide on the G3 ? I have a 2006 G3 1966 center console and heave been giving some consideration to another boat.
    if you care to share the dealer you bought from , that would be of interest as well. I have and still do enjoy my boat and G3 has always responded to my questions via email. What speed are you getting with the 90 ? are you running a jack plate or setback ? Thanks gentlemen.
    Last edited by lukethedog; 10-15-2017 at 07:10 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post
    Is the 17 a center console? I would keep the rod holders, they have been handy for the "BOB" (back of boat) guy on my CC G3.
    It is the Sportsman 17 side console.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    what helped you decide on the G3 ? I have a 2006 G3 1966 center console and heave been giving some consideration to another boat.
    if you care to share the dealer you bought from , that would be of interest as well. I have and still do enjoy my boat and G3 has always responded to my questions via email. What speed are you getting with the 90 ? are you running a jack plate or setback ? Thanks gentlemen.
    I was looking for a shallow draft boat to fish some backwaters in tidal rivers, small lakes and pond where there is no real launch ramp to speak of where my glass boat just can't get to. I looked and compared several different manufacturers of aluminium boats and G3 made more of my checklist points. Storage and deck layout suited my style of fishing as well as the ample leg room under the console as I am 6'3" tall with long legs. This past weekend was the first time i had it on the water so I don't know yet about top speed as I am going through the break in period. I did upgrade from the aluminum prop to a stainless prop for better performance. What I do know it will pop up and get on plane very quickly! After 2 days on the water I really think I'm going to like. It is very stable and was as comfortable to fish out of as my bass boat. I bought it from Collins Inc. in Smithfield NC. I can let you know in the future what the top end will be after I have gone through the 10 hour break in period.

11. Member
    How's the new boat running?

My 2002 HP180 may be older now but it seems the new layouts in G3 boats are not as well designed as they used to be. I'll have to keep my old girl.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose6 View Post
    How's the new boat running?
    The boat is running fine so far. I was only able to put a hour of break in on it this weekend. I now have about 7 hours total on the engine. I fished a small duck pond this weekend and though the water level was really low due to no recent rainfall I did not have any trouble unloading or loading the boat on the trailer. One other small glass boat and a larger alum boat did have some difficulties at the ramp. This is one of the main reasons I wanted this boat is to have easy accessibility in hard to reach places.