Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange Problem? Merc 250XS

2006 Mercury XS serial 1E002140. Strange problem this past weekend, Have been running this exact same setup since spring. Fished a tournament this past weekend and ran about two miles to first spot, caught a couple of fish, filled livewells and fished there for a couple of hours, Went to start engine and engine cranked over good but wouldnt start, Did this a couple of times and then the motor started, Let it warm up and started to go. Engine missed a little once and would only turn to about 4000 rpm, wouldnt get on pad. No faults on smartcraft, Limped back to dock and brought boat home for testing, Borrowed a ddt and checked for faults or alarms and there were none, Only have a single line fuel tester checked fuel and air pressures and they checked 108 air and 92 fuel at idle. Low pressure pump at the vst checks 28. Test ran the boat at a lake near home with livewells empty and it did take off however it was still sluggish, Once it broke over ran it to 6100 rpm and ran great on top end, filled livewells with water and would spool up to about 4000 rpm and after about 10 secounds would finally break over and go, Engine has new plugs,Fuel filter and new epa fuel liines a couple of years ago. I am really at wits end as to why this has happened all after it refused to start? Also boat has a PM1 starting battery that is about 2 years old and load tested great.

Update:
    Engine was checked over this week by a Mercury service Rep, Water tested with CDS installed, Said he could find absolutely nothing wrong with the engine, Fuel pressure 95# Air pressure 110#

2. Member
    Perform a spark test as the problem is occurring.

3. Member
    Would this have been part of the cds testing on the water?

4. Member
    Only if the technician performed it.

5. Banned
    Failing air injectors!

6. Member
    The fuel system was gone through this spring with 6 new air injectors from mercury installed? Sure hope this is not the case?

7. Member
    Savage I will contact the mechanic and find out if it was preformed.
    thx
    Last edited by boatman00; 09-08-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added to post

8. Banned
    Was the problem identified and properly addressed that caused the original air injectors failure?

9. Member
    The injectors and rails were sent in and cleaned and serviced, The original air injectors tested bad and i replaced them all with new Merc air injectors.
    Thanks

10. Member
    Reeds.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    Reeds.
    ^^^ that is a good possibility also.

12. Member
    At this point I guess anything is a possibility, However it is hard for me to believe it ran perfect and after fishing for a couple of hours it wouldn't start, Then when it started it wouldn't get on plane? Seems to run perfect on top end just dogging it out of the hole?
    Thx

13. Member
    What you have described has been my experience with a reed failure. It is also something you have not checked.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman00 View Post
    At this point I guess anything is a possibility, However it is hard for me to believe it ran perfect and after fishing for a couple of hours it wouldn't start, Then when it started it wouldn't get on plane? Seems to run perfect on top end just dogging it out of the hole?
    Thx

14. Member
    You are absolutely right, and it will be worth checking out!
    Thanks!

15. Member
    Latest Update: Just did a complete reed inspection, all Looked great, I went completely through the fuel system yesterday from the tank through the vst, Only thing i found suspicious was the rubber sleeve that goes on top of the high pressure pump had slid down on top of the pump,Wasnt sealing the top of the pump to the housing. Havnt had a chance to water test it yet.
    Thanks

16. Member
    The "sleeve" was definitely a problem......

17. Banned
    Good find! I agree that should correct the problem.

18. Member
    Update:
    Finally got a chance to water test this morning, No joy, still flat around 4000 rpm, Suddenly rpm will come up and boat runs great on to end, I feel pretty confident in fuel system now, So I I am at wits end as what to check now, Still don't know if Merc rep did a spark test as problem was occurring? Would engine have showed a code if there was a spark problem?
    Thx guys
    Reed

19. Member
    Sure sounds like a coil issue, as they can be intermittent.

20. Member
    Update:
    going to put it on the water next week with mechanic for spark testing, hopefully something will show itself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast