Custom Michigan Crankbait contest

I am looking forward to my annual fishing trip up to Traverse City with my Dad and Uncle, we will be staying on Green lake and fishing some of the local lakes around the area. This past year I have started airbrushing crankbaits and I thought it would be pretty cool to come up with a dynamite "Michigan" color scheme that will drive the smallies crazy! Does that color exist? who knows, but half the fun is creating a fishing lure. So here's the deal, I need suggestions from you Michiginians for colors/patterns that will turn the average crankbait into smallmouth candy. I will pick one or more ideas to paint up, then use the lures on my fishing trip, if it's a success I will paint up some more and mail them to you as thanks. You can post your ideas on this thread or PM me to keep the color combo a *secret* . I only fish Michigan waters 4 days a year so you will have an exclusive HOT bait to rake in tons of tourny bucks or throw in your tackle box to never see the light of day again, your choice. So get your creative fisherman juices flowing, enter the mind of a smallmouth and let the ideas BEGIN!!!

Crankbait blanks I have on hand:

Square bill 1.5,2.5
    Wiggle Wart
    Bandit 200
    Spro Little John MD
    Medium divers 2.5
    Megabass Vision 110

I've attached some samples of cranks I have painted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

You do nice work.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Very nice! The Bluegill / Brim pattern would be killer on any clear water lake up here where Gills are prevalent.
    Awesome work
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

4. Member
    Well I guess the lack of posts in this thread leads me to believe there is no such thing as a magic bait color, or at least none that anyone wants to share. So with this turn of events I have decided, no wait....you guys have "forced" me to use the ugliest bait of all time in your pristine Michigan waters......The dreaded PURPLE NURPPLE, it's the only bait ever painted to actually cause fish anorexia.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

I'm not a big believer in special colors...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Special colors - perch, chartreuse perch, yellow perch, gold perch, GP pro perch, elegy bone, pearl, disco shad, helsinki shad

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Our lakes are mostly clear so stay with the natural colors.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

8. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    PM sent

don just bought them all

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Special colors - perch, chartreuse perch, yellow perch, gold perch, GP pro perch, elegy bone, pearl, disco shad, helsinki shad
    This

Now, add some orange to the throat/belly and you have made a bait to piss off smallies. Looking forward to getting the bait from ya after you kick their asses with a Orange throated bait you made. Lol. Call it Agent Orange. Make the body bone white and you will be on cloud nine!!! Thank me when you get back!!!

Nick N
    Catch 5, Keep'em alive!

11. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob o View Post
    don just bought them all
    Very funny Bob... but seriously are they for sale

I still have to buy a crap load of hooks for the ones I got from Mike at your place 2 years ago... lol

13. Member
    Thanks Don for the recommendation, I will paint up a couple and let you give me the thumbs up or down on the finished product. Appreciate the tips guys
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

14. dartag1829
    Fancy Colors catch fishermen. It's a reaction bite. Shad or Craw colors seem to work well for me. Just keep casting..

i got nothing

17. Member
    That commercial made me laugh every time, funny thing is, I think this is how the public views bass fisherman....old guys in rubber fishing pants.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

18. Member
    Bone Blue Pearl (Ghost Blue Pearl) - With red gills and red/orange fading underbelly.

19. Member
    Well I've got about 3 weeks until I head up to Michigan and it's looking like sunscreen will the most important thing in my tackle box. I was hoping for water in the 50's but sadly it looks like I will be fishing a late summer pattern and not a fall bite. I've been painting up some natural patterns on jerk baits and cranks using some of the tips on this thread but with the higher water temps I'll probably be throwing a senko or something plastic....go figure. I'm still working up some patterns and will put them up here and you guys can yea or nay them as to their "fishiness"

Here are a few I've painted so far...more to come.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

20. Member
    They are all beautiful, and the water should cool before you get here, 90 today and 59 next Friday.