Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadhead/bow tuning ?

Im really not sure whether this is a broadhead issue or a bow tuning issue, or both, but hoping some of you guys who are more experienced here can help school me. I have shot bows for nearly 40 years but never been really into bow hunting--my old (really old) compound blew up and I just replaced it with a modern bow that is WAAAAAY faster than anything I have used before--I just got Y2K compatible in a hurry. Shooting 340gr carbon arrows with short (2"?) vanes. Its great to shoot with field points, but as Ive added broadheads Im having issues...

The 20+ year old 125gr muzzy 4-blades I had, the arrow is spiraling into the target and hitting somewhere in an 18" radius at 30 yards...normal field point group is more like 4". Now, I imagine this is a lot of blade for those short vanes, AND there may be a bow tuning issue. I have a couple arrows with 4" vanes that are better but still definitely spiraling. What's up with the spiral? Is that a tuning thing, I had thought a tuning issue would still group, just not with the field points? Or is it just too much blade for a bow this fast?

I also have some older mechanical broadheads. Im not even sure what they are, they are 3-blade heads that look like the NAP heads but with a smooth body. Accuracy is good but after a dozen shots into a 12" thick foam block 2 of the blades have come off, and they are loud in the air. Probably cheap heads that ought to get upgraded is my thought.

So...1) Unless someone who knows what they talking about tells me that the muzzy will definitively fly straight for sure if I tune a bit, Im looking to buy new broadheads.

2) im a little skeptical of mechanicals, but also skeptical of a fixed blade flying well without a ton of tuning. I'd like lowest-maintenence and highest certainty, no interest in having to test-drive a bunch of different heads. Should I go for one of the smaller fixed blade heads that I have heard people say fly like field points (slick trick standard heads or shuttle t-lock seem to be a lot of peoples go-to in this cateogry?)

3) or should I go for a good quality mechanical for certainty of flying like a field point? Is flying like a field point more or less guranteed? And, it seems like the rage hypodermics are consistently given good marks, are the standard hypodermics the surest-bet here?

Interested in any feedback or thoughts, thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Im a fixed blade guy 100% for chasing big bucks. Had expendables fail me on a good shot. Fixed blades do have their own issues and tuning os the 1st. I shoot 315fps with 380gr with either 85 or 100 grain Wac'Em 3 blade for goin on 10 years or more. Slight tune mostly lining up blades to vanes and frequently shoot 50+yds wirh them practicing with good results.i was a big muzzy fan for yesrw but had tuning issues!!! Id recommend less grains and make sure you arrow spline is right for draw weight. Could bsck w3ight off some to see if it changes. Alot of good heads out there now Wacem,slick tricks, montecs all flew good from experience. Heard good luck from paper tuning as well. Ive always been able get fixed blades within 2in pf bow sighted with field tips and i slightly adjust sight according
    Last edited by skeeter21ohio; 09-07-2017 at 09:01 PM.

When my bow was perfectly tuned and my muzzy flew crazily I gave up and went to Rage chisel tips. Couldn't be happier.

I could never get fixed blades to fly straight. Have been using mechanicals successfully for the last 20 years.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    Man seeing this, y'all have me worried. This is my first year shooting A bow and bow hunting as well. I can hit pretty much anything I want with the field points but have never shot any type of broad head yet. I bought some that are 100 grain and suppose to be field tip accurate. Should I try one out to make sure? I have hunted with a rifle all my life so the archery part I'm trying to learn as much as I can as season here starts sept 30

6. Member
    I have had the same experience Skeeter has. Muzzys we're at one time the crem of the crop but not so much anymore. You will go thru 25 to find five that will hit a 6" circle at 30 yards. I shoot hellrazor 100 grain fixed blades and they won't hit the same point of impact as a field point with but they are very very consistent. The only fixed blade I have ever seen was a short fat head (shuttle t lock) it was a tough sob! In bone but a couple times I hit back of the ribs and it wadded all the soft tissue up and made a plug in the exit hole. It absolutely stopped any bleeding and the trail went dry. We found the deer but I won't shoot those heads anymore.
    You are probably right it is time to get a new bow. The bows nowadays will make you feel like the first time you got to second base with a girl compared to the dinosaur you are shooting.
    As far as the other poster that has never shot broadheads. Of course you should shoot them but make sure you have a backstop the first time because it's highly likely they won't hit anywhere close to your fp
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 09-10-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Muzzy's have an aluminum ferrule that bend after the first shot. Thats the problem.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    You are probably right it is time to get a new bow. The bows nowadays will make you feel like the first time you got to second base with a girl compared to the dinosaur you are shooting.
    Yep, already got the new bow, thats the problem--the rest of my old stuff isnt designed to work with it! Sounds like some mechanical heads are in my near future. Rage hypodermic standard the go-to? Is it more or less a given that a mechanical of the same weight will shoot just like a field point?

9. Member
    The rage will come with a practice tip to ensure the bow is sighted tin for that tip.

10. Member
    This post will probably start a huge disagreement but I would under no circumstances shoot an expandable. I have been hunting big mature deer for over 15 years. The only deer I have ever lost we're using Rage. The first time had a mid 160 deer at 25 yards. The head opened in flight and looked like an out of control race car going thru the air sticking the deer high in the shoulder. Zero penetration. The deer never showed up again on camera so I would assume he died but not on our farm as we looked all over.
    Second was a doe that the blades came off on impact and just drilled a hole thru her. Do yourself a favor and don't go down this path.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

11. Member
    Could give the G5 Montac a try. It's a fixed blade tip that I'm currently using and shoots the same as my field tips at 30 yards. I know this because I went out and shot with the broad head after reading this post

12. Member
    Babe ww, no disagreement from me, I dont have near enough experiebce to argue! but a suggestion would be helpful for me. Too many positive stories for me to rule out a mechanical, but im interested to hear what youve gone to and if youre shooting fixed heads if its w/ a fast bow and how fiddly it was to get tuned right, etc.

Tell us about your setup? Sounds like a possible cam timing issue or your arrow spine is incorrect.

14. Member
    Its a Quest amp bow, set at about 60lb and pulling 31.5" draw, purchased new and initially set up by a pro shop here that people say is very good. Whisker biscuit rest, with a release. Easton carbon express arrows marked 55-70lb on the shafts, with 100gr points each arrow weighs 435-ish grains on my powder scale. Not sure what other info you would need or what that tells you.

Field point 3-shot groups are often 2" or less at 30 yards, usually 3", sometimes 4". With muzzy 125gr point groups are like 36".

I'm not seeing any issues so far with setup. Have you done any kind of paper tuning? (Shooting through a sheet of paper an arrows length away) this is a quick way to use tify grip torque or improper cam timing. I'm not familiar with your specific bow so all I can offer is general compound advice. A field tipped arrow is very very forgiving and can still be shot accurately even with form issues or setup issues. When you stick a bigger surface out front it brings any issues to light. You may do well do visit your bow shop and explain your issue, they should have you shoot a few times and likely take the edge off the learning curve. Walk back tuning is something you can do at home. Shoot at a vertical of duct tape with your 20 yard pin at 20 30 40 and 50 yards. If you have a linear deviation to one side or the other it's likely your whisker biscuit needs slight adjustment. If you are strictly deer hunting I don't think you will gain much other than aggravation by shooting 125grain vs the 100 grain field tips you were shooting. This process can be a pain but you will learn a lot and become a better archer. Or just grab some expanables and give it a try. Maybe see is a buddy has an old one you can try. Too bad you can't buy sample packs of various broadheads. We all have preferences. I personally really like slick trick and wac em 4 blades. But I'm sure there are others that would be just as good or better. I like their value vs performance. Remember in a fixed blade the wider the cutting surface the better a bow must be tuned to shoot them accurately. And I'm not saying that it will shoot exactly like a field tip either. But it just might be really close if you tuned right. Good luck.. this can be a pain

16. Member
    Thanks, thats very helpful. I was going to use 100gr most likely, I just happened to have somee old muzzy heads already from back in the early 90's--figured Id try em in case theyd work, thats the only reason. Im on a work trip this week so Ive got a few days to chew on what to get.

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Slick tricks (spelling) have a cult like following. And drop down to 100 grain. You may be under spined with those 125s
    Last edited by Roddy; 09-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    Shot Muzzy for yrs..Rage 2-blade & I never looked back...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Slick tricks (
    if ya gonna shoot a fixed blade tunning is a must and I don't mean just a bullet hole through a paper rack I mean bare shaft out to 25 yds it will tell you every thing I'm as anal as it gets about perfect BH flight , my GRIZZ TRCKS shoot same hole as FP at 5o yds , they gota spin straight and and spine indexing helps look it up on an archery site
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Member
    NAP Spitfire MAXX (mechanical) Has worked for me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast