Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Several things to consider. First Muzzy can be hard to tune. Looks like you are shooting 125gr heads. What size fetching are you using and are they vanes or feathers. Too much weight (FOC) can cause all kinds of arrow flight issues. Your arrow is correctly spine so that is not an issue. Have you spin tested each broadleaf on each shaft? Don't worry about your blades lining up with your vanes/feathers as this has very little effect on arrow flight at realistic distances.

Paper tuning is a good starting point but only a starting point. The Quest is made by G5 and is a dual cam bow. Dual cam bows MUST be timed (cam synchronized) or you will experience arrow flight issues. This must be accomplished with a draw board utilizing a digital scale. Big box stores will usually not have the proper equipment nor experienced technicians with the knowledge necessary to properly set up the cams for both timing and draw cycle.

All this may seem a bit confusing but it really is not. Take your bow to a reputable shop that sells dual cam bows and have them set it up. My next suggestion would be to move away from those 125 gr Muzzy heads. Brodhead are like the Ford, Chevrolet debate, it really boils down to personal preference but my experience wit Muzzy heads has not been good. Modern expandable are fine for everything except dangerous game. They are not the expandable of older days and will work fine on deer size game. I tend to stick with fixed blade heads but that is just me. My choice is G5 Strikers or Slick Tricks, both in 100 gr heads. Most of my friends use expandable broadheads and all have taken many B&C bucks with no issues. Again it boils down to personal choice.

In the end when everything is set up correctly your field points and broadheads will have the same POI. This post can turn into a very long reply. I believe you have a good starting point but if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck.

2. Member
    Thanks Capt Ray. I got the bow from what is apparently the go-to archery shop in this region, all the archery people I asked said hands down they are exceptional...so I think the setup should be at least good. I ditched the muzzys pretty quick and got a set of rage chisel points. The practice head doesnt impact exactly the same as field points but its pretty close, and a little tuning has it fine out past any distance I'll shoot a deer at. I think in the future with a little more setup time I'll head back to the shop and get a new set of arrows and have them help me tune it, but for this season I'm as set as Im going to be...now just need the right deer to walk in front of my stand.

Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Thanks Capt Ray. I got the bow from what is apparently the go-to archery shop in this region, all the archery people I asked said hands down they are exceptional...so I think the setup should be at least good. I ditched the muzzys pretty quick and got a set of rage chisel points. The practice head doesnt impact exactly the same as field points but its pretty close, and a little tuning has it fine out past any distance I'll shoot a deer at. I think in the future with a little more setup time I'll head back to the shop and get a new set of arrows and have them help me tune it, but for this season I'm as set as Im going to be...now just need the right deer to walk in front of my stand.
    Glad you got it worked out. A little rest adjustment should get both field points and hunting tips hitting same place. Then just dial in your sight and it is game on. Good luck.

To the OP, You need to broad head tune your bow. When you get it from the bow shop paper tuned, it will be good enough for most broad heads, but not all. You really have to fine tune your arrow rest(micro adjustments) to make your broad heads hit the target where your field points do. I have no idea why this is not widely advertised, but most people don't know this. The bow shops do not share this info for some reason???? Check out this video on how it's done. Indexing your broad heads with your vanes isn't that big of a deal, but if it makes you more confident, go ahead and do it too.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

This is another method of "fine tuning', which will get those certain fixed blades to fly true.

Another

7. Member
    Thanks for the links! I did find one of those videos already and have tuned it as much as possible, but the rest I have doesn’t have a vertical adjustment, so I couldn’t quite get them to impact in the same spot—the remainder I had to adjust the sights. I am going to get a new set of arrows after this fall, so I’ll wait till after that to mess with anything further and may end up with a new rest that allows me to tune it the rest of the way.

Good deal man. Hope you get it straight. If you don't have an elevation adjustment, you can slighty, very slightly adjust kncoking point on string. If your arrows are flying straight and hitting good now, I wouldn't mess with it too much more until the season is over. Happy hunting

9. Member
    What he said get slick trick magnums awesome

10. Member
    If you are shooting a 31 1/2 draw you are probably under spined with the arrows. I shoot a 281/2 draw @60lbs. and shoot Easton 400 my brother's draw is 31 and also shoots 60lbs. He has to shoot. 300 spine. Those poundage marks is for average length 26-29 draw. Over that it's a new game. Also the vanes will make a difference. I know a lot of people like a biscuit but I can't stand them. I've seen them cause some crazy issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12