Worried about the big o

Worried about the lake. Don't know if it can survive this?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Worried about the lake. Don't know if it can survive this?
    It survived being emptied by a hurricane way back, it will survive again.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

I have heard that the South Florida Water Management District has stated that the Hoover Dike was not in danger and that since the storm was a quick mover this would mitigate any flooding issues. They have released a lot of water from the Lake already so she should be good to go.

Spanky

4. Member
    Was thinking the eye going over with 150mph winds

5. Member
    They just issued mandatory evacuation orders for Pahokee and Belle Glade which are pretty far inland. I think they are pretty concerned about the lake but it seems like a sensible precaution.

6. Member
    Lake Okeechobee will recover, least of our worries.
    People are another story, get out of the way.

7. Member
    I was actually thinking the opposite. Would hurt in the short term but overall a good sweeping would be good for the lake.

8. Member
    The lake needs lower water. It's 13.67 today and the grass will be decimated with water that high. Anybody remember the lake from back in 2005 after the last big hit? Took a year long drought to really fix it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    I was actually thinking the opposite. Would hurt in the short term but overall a good sweeping would be good for the lake.
    I dont know how the grass could survive and read about all the dead fish after 2005 didn't sound like that would help in anyway. Where does something hide in a 5 foot deep lake with 150mph winds??Worried

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd be more worried about my house moving from Clewiston to Sebring. The lake will recover.

I think this will be a severe test of the Okeechobee levees.

I can't remember when a hurricane went straight up the Everglades drainage system. If this thing keeps on it's current course, everything from south Orlando/Disney will be draining into Shingle Creek/Reedy Creek and Toho and Kissimmee will be full already from direct rain. I doubt SFWMD will close any of this drainage off because of the flooding it will cause.
    Patch Pirate In Training
    XPress H20B 115HP Yamaha
    Raymarine a78
    https://bigbassflies.blogspot.com

12. Member
    Prediction = 18-24" of rain along the trail of the eye.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philmanchu View Post
    I think this will be a severe test of the Okeechobee levees.

I can't remember when a hurricane went straight up the Everglades drainage system. If this thing keeps on it's current course, everything from south Orlando/Disney will be draining into Shingle Creek/Reedy Creek and Toho and Kissimmee will be full already from direct rain. I doubt SFWMD will close any of this drainage off because of the flooding it will cause.
    That is what has me worried. Even the dikes around the Everglades in South Florida could be compromised. I think the hurricane back sometime in the 20s had the lake spilling over into Palm Beach County and drowning hundreds.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    I dont know how the grass could survive and read about all the dead fish after 2005 didn't sound like that would help in anyway. Where does something hide in a 5 foot deep lake with 150mph winds??Worried

I will admit I don't get to fish Okeechobee as much as I would like to anymore due to work, only been twice this year. But In my general experience the fishing just always seems to be better after a lake has gone thru a major event. Granted, may take a year or two but that just seems to be what I remember. The most recent example is my home water Lake Seminole. We recently had a flood so bad the water was spilling over the dam. The hydrilla beds were decimated and everybody thought this would be the end of Seminole for a long time but this has been one of the best years ever fishing wise. Not saying that will happen this time but I guess I'm an optimist like that.