Talon wont deploy

I have 2 12' talons on my boat connected to the same disconnect swithch. One works fine but the other one only clicks but doesnt go down. Any ideas what moght wrong ?

2. Member
    Check electrical connections and make sure they are clean. There will be enough connection to start the motor but not enough to keep it driving the spike down. You can also try and crank it down to see what happens.

3. Member
    Spring inside the cable spool may have broke
    Nitro z21

4. Solix 10 Gen3 DI+/SI+
    Mine did the same thing; had to replace the motor. It was less than a year old.

I'm experiencing same problem as Farmerman. Returned from a BFL Tournament with no problems using the using Talons. Went out fun fishing three weeks later, and now BOTH Talons will not deploy, hear it here a clicking sound coming both Talons. The clinking sound is which I believe is the electric brake from the motor energize allowing the motor to operate. Now, for troubleshooting:

1. Battery properly charged.
    2. Verified electrical connections
    3. Applied different power source just to verify the primary power source. Both sources shown the same results.
    4. Remove the motor leads from one of the Talons the main control board, apply VOM to the motor leads on the control board hit the down button on the control board, and VOM READ 12.8 volts, also
    heard the clicking sound.
    5. Ohm out the motor, .5 ohms, would like to Megger the motor but, I don't have a megger.

Calling Minn Kota Monday for some technical support.

It seems that the motor has failed but, I have a hard time accepting that BOTH motors failed same time.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated........ this could be an costly repair.

Thanks in advance

.....Yeah baby, I figured out, both units are working just fine.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdic View Post
    .....Yeah baby, I figured out, both units are working just fine.
    so what was up??????????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Sorry for the delay boys, work before pleasure. I reversed the polarity on the motor, only for a second, at the same time I touch the negative terminal I also hit the down button on the remote to release which is what I believe is the brake on the motor, which is possibly the clicking noise we are hearing. Once the motor spun I reversed polarity, the spike deployed with some mud on the spike.
    I believe the mud hardened which would not allow the motor to engage, there might be some type of safety device in the motor or limit switch.

If anyone has any more questions call me 847-951-6606, I'd be happy to answer any other questions.... I have a hard time typing, old school kid.

I hope this helps, I would suggest that you have a Good Electrical Background before exercising this sequence.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdic View Post
    [COLOR=#333333] I believe the mud hardened which would not allow the motor to engage, there might be some type of safety device in the motor or limit switch.
    The overwhelming majority of the boat ramps I use have a no wake zone that is 100 yards or longer. They also have water that is 10 ft or deeper. When I reach the no wake zone I fully deploy my anchors in open water and idle with them down for a few yards. This will help keep the spikes and stages clean. Another thing I do is if I know I have deployed them in mud when I retract them I hit the remote and stop them before they fully retract. I leave a few inches or a foot out. Then I idle to clean them. One more thing I do is sometimes when fishing deep I fully deploy them and let wave action and movement of the boat clean them...when I say clean them what I really mean is if they have any built up mud on them is will wash off.

In my owners manual in the cleaning/maintenance section is says to fully deploy them in deep water and idle to clean them.

10. Member
    Mine did the same thing. Bad motor. About $180 for motor plus labor.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

11. Member
    Just got a call from the repair shop, I guess the mother board went bad.