Trim stopping under load HELP!

2006 Pro XS 225
    Serial #: 1B298703
    2006 Ranger Z21

I am at a loss…. I am no longer able to trim the motor past ¼ trim while on plane. Before this issue started I was able to trim to ¾ or until it got scary. Dealer replaced the entire trim system so I am in this issue $2,000 already with no resolution.

The motor trims/tilts when on the trailer or just idling as it should. It comes out of the hole great but when I start to trim it will stop at ¼. There is so much more travel left but it just won’t go. The motor holds at ¼ trim on plane and does not loose pressure. I have a hydraulic jackplate but without that additional trim travel I can’t get my bow off the water to where i need it.

Looking for Don’s or someones help. Dropping my boat back off next week. Motor is running awesome but this trim issue is killing me.

2. Member
    There are two motor tilting functions....

Trim: Trim when running on plane will only move until the striker plates lose contact with the outer trim rods.

Trailer: Tilts the motor up to the trailer position.

Your system is functioning as designed, and is working properly.

3. Member
    Thank you for the response.

Then why is it now not operating like it was before? Something must have happened.....this is a significant change. Do i need new striker plates? connection issue? sender? relay?

4. Member
    What type of trim sensor do you have?

5. Member
    If the boat is at home on a trailer walk over to it and turn the switch on, remove the motor totter and trim the motor all the way up. Look at the gauge and note where it's reading then trim the motor down until it hits the trim rams and stop. Now check the gauge and see where it reads when the motor is at maximum trim angle and if it's the same as it reads while running the gauge is okay. The sensor was probably moved when the new trim system was installed. The older Mercury motors have a way to adjustment the trim sensor on the tilt rod so it can be moved to adjust the reading on the gauge if it needs it. Just loosen the screws holding the sensor and turn it to adjust the gauge if it's an analog gauge.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 09-07-2017 at 02:41 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    What type of trim sensor do you have?
    Not sure. I have the original analog gauge from ranger if that helps. tell me what to look for and i can get it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If the boat is at home on a trailer walk over to it and turn the switch on, remove the motor totter and trim the motor all the way up. Look at the gauge and note where it's reading then trim the motor down until it hits the trim rams and stop. Now check the gauge and see where it reads when the motor is at maximum trim angle and if it's the same as it reads while running the gauge is okay. The sensor was probably moved when the new trim system was installed. The older Mercury motors have a way to adjustment the trim sensor on the tilt rod so it can be moved to adjust the reading on the gauge if it needs it. Just loosen the screws holding the sensor and turn it to adjust the gauge if it's an analog gauge.
    The gauge isn't the problem. I tested that. To be honest I could run the boat at 68+ mph and not even look at my trim gauge. I can do it by feel as can most people on BBC. What tells the motor that i have reached the end of my trim rods? That's my issue. I just ordered new striker plates from Don's after reading his maintenance post this morning. Going to see if that makes a difference...especially at $18.

So my problem restated is... I am not getting full range out of my trim rams. I used to be able to trim until I could purposely make the boat chine walk/hydro plane. Now all of a sudden all I can do is plow water and go 8-10 MPH slower.
    Last edited by Kilroy_was_here; 09-07-2017 at 04:13 PM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy_was_here View Post
    2006 Pro XS 225
    Serial #: 1B298703
    2006 Ranger Z21

I am at a loss…. I am no longer able to trim the motor past ¼ trim while on plane. Before this issue started I was able to trim to ¾ or until it got scary. Dealer replaced the entire trim system so I am in this issue $2,000 already with no resolution.

The motor trims/tilts when on the trailer or just idling as it should. It comes out of the hole great but when I start to trim it will stop at ¼. There is so much more travel left but it just won’t go. The motor holds at ¼ trim on plane and does not loose pressure. I have a hydraulic jackplate but without that additional trim travel I can’t get my bow off the water to where i need it.

Looking for Don’s or someones help. Dropping my boat back off next week. Motor is running awesome but this trim issue is killing me.
    Did you lose top speed?
    Did you change anything else; jackplate, prop?

Oops! 30 seconds too late.
    One more question: did this start suddenly?

9. Member
    lost close to 10 mph.

It started about 3rd time out this spring. Everything has remained the same.

I am contemplating a different prop and removing my talons....but that just doesn't make sense to me at this point.

10. Banned
    lost close to 10 mph.

It started about 3rd time out this spring. Everything has remained the same.

I am contemplating a different prop and removing my talons....but that just doesn't make sense to me at this point.
    Unless this happened at the same time as changing props or adding Talons, then this ^^^ is not the problem.

11. Banned
    Could be the striker plates if they're gouged or have a hole worn in them.

12. Member
    The gauge isn't the problem. I tested that. To be honest I could run the boat at 68+ mph and not even look at my trim gauge. I can do it by feel as can most people on BBC. What tells the motor that i have reached the end of my trim rods? That's my issue. I just ordered new striker plates from Don's after reading his maintenance post this morning. Going to see if that makes a difference...especially at $18.

So my problem restated is... I am not getting full range out of my trim rams. I used to be able to trim until I could purposely make the boat chine walk/hydro plane. Now all of a sudden all I can do is plow water and go 8-10 MPH slower.
    The "full range" of the trim rams IS NOT adjustable, it is simply the hydraulic system design that prevents the motor from over trimming at speed.

13. Member
    Stricker plates it was.....took 2 minutes to replace and lube. I cannot believe these aren't a standard annual maintenance item. Going to talk to my dealer tomorrow about getting some of my $2,000 back since an $18 part fixed the issue!

14. Banned
    Stricker plates it was.....took 2 minutes to replace and lube. I cannot believe these aren't a standard annual maintenance item. Going to talk to my dealer tomorrow about getting some of my $2,000 back since an $18 part fixed the issue!

You saying that worn strikers cost you 10mph?

15. Member
    Port side striker plate was grooved flat on one side while the starboard side had significant wear. The port side was no longer rounded at the top so the trim ram was actually loosing contact before end of trim range. So it is my assumption that once the trim ram lost contact with the striker plate under load it would hold the motor at that point because the starboard side trim ram cannot trim the engine on its own. This would also explain why I have contact wear on the starboard swivel/transom bracket.

After replacing the striker plates I got 100% travel out of my trim. I don't know how many degrees of trim angle I actually lost but using my trim gauge I went from 1/4 to ~1/2. This then allowed me to use my hydraulic jackplate to its full potential. So I am back to running 65-67 mph with my bow OFF the water.

16. Banned
    Port side striker plate was grooved flat on one side while the starboard side had significant wear. The port side was no longer rounded at the top so the trim ram was actually loosing contact before end of trim range. So it is my assumption that once the trim ram lost contact with the striker plate under load it would hold the motor at that point because the starboard side trim ram cannot trim the engine on its own. This would also explain why I have contact wear on the starboard swivel/transom bracket.

After replacing the striker plates I got 100% travel out of my trim. I don't know how many degrees of trim angle I actually lost but using my trim gauge I went from 1/4 to ~1/2. This then allowed me to use my hydraulic jackplate to its full potential. So I am back to running 65-67 mph with my bow OFF the water.
    Good news!