Oneida or Ontario???

Well I have a free weekend and I'm totally undecided on where to go. Making the decision today. Do I go to Oneida or fish Henderson Harbor? Anyone know if there are any tournaments on Oneida this weekend? Maybe fish both??

If you fished Oneida please chime in as I've only fished it once for a few hours and thats it.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Henderson Harbor is got some big smallies and also a big lake to try and find them but if you do, hold on your going to have a ball they say guest best bet would be to talk to local sports shop for that place. Oneida , well if the weather is good you can catch a bunch of fish also and have a lot of fun , but if it blows from the east she gets very angry and rough to fish , so good luck on your trip weather is the key to both places

Thanks! I know henderson well enough to find them as I have it marked pretty good. Oneida was my big ??? Would love to hit those shoals and catch fish all day long.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Oneida can be a tricky place, even Oneida veterans can have a tough time finding them. Nice thing about Oneida is if it blows too bad you can go up river and have some great fishing. Caught a 7.35 largemouth few weeks ago, in the river.

5. Banned
    How did you make out?

6. Member
    Henderson is on fire right now

Well the trip went OK. I didn't catch them like I hoped I would but still managed to catch a few. That is one tough lake to figure out as I threw everything I had and still couldn't get them to bite. I should have gone to henderson but never fished Oneida so thought i would give it a try. I heard when its on you catch them on everything....not this trip. Maybe in 2 weeks make a trip to Henderson, we'll see. Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

8. Member
    Joe,
    I was up there mid august, the bit was not the best but still managed to get on some, we are thinking of making another trip mid october , im not sure where you stay but the place i stay at is called the Aspinwall Motel, it two minutes from the main lunch in henderson harbor, I was getting them down in 45 fow then but by october , who knows where they will be
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

I know the hotel. Never stayed there but very nice people. I'll be on black lake for Columbus day weekend. You going up the weekend after that? I want to fish it one more time before the season is over. Those huge smallies are a terrible adduction! LOL
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

10. Scraps
    First weekend in October has been good when I was club fishing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Not sure exactly when as we are still discussing but yes, those things sure are addictive, I just hope the wind stays light when we go. Last trip was west winds at 20 mph which made it somewhat miserable, as soon as you went around association island it turned into an ocean
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

I went through the cut there one day when it was blowing pretty good. For some reason I couldn't understand why the boats fishing that cove were looking at us funny when we went out! We fished for a bit till we couldn't take it anymore and after making into calm water, soaking wet we now knew why they were looking at us funny earlier! That lakecan get bad quick!

Have any of you run out to Stoney island to fish? If so, how did you do? Worth the run?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

13. Banned
    I never fished Stoney but I seen an episode of Hank Parker and he fished the waterway through the middle of the island and absolutely hammered them. I guess for years you weren't allowed in there /private but it sounded like anyone can go through now.

14. Member
    yes, fished all of them out there, Stoney was full of birds and when the wind blew just right the smell coming from all the bird chit almost made me puck, it would make an onion cry it was so bad,, all those islands hold nice fish but I had the best luck fishing the most western parts of Galloo and Stoney, you can catch the two pounders in 15 to 20 but the bigger ones came in 35 to 40,,, I never made it close to the cut as the wind wouldn't allow ,,
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI