Scraps

Late Model SHOs w/ Replaced Powerheads?

I see quite a few on newer model boats. I'm looking at SHO boats with a little more than curiosity. Is there anything in particular to look out for, dealbreakers, on SHOs with a replaced powerhead???
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Member
    I went through the same thing in December / January. I was looking for a nice used 250 powered 21' bass boat. I have always ran Mercs and had good luck but I found a Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO. i started reading and was concerned about all the talk of blown powerheads and making oil. To make a long story short I found the FX and it was in very good condition. The engine had 261 hours on it. The dealing said it had the powerhead replaced as part of the Yamaha factory recall. I called Yamaha with the serial number and they confirmed the power head was replaced at 200 hours and added that the previous powerhead had blown. I tracked down the previous owner and he was very nice and helpful. He said the engine had ran great but it went down on him and the new powerhead was put on. He said he broke it in right and had no problems with making oil. I negotiated 2 years of YES warranty on the engine as part of the deal and purchased the boat. I've been out in it 6 or 7 times and have put about 7 hours on the engine. It has ran flawless. I keep a close eye on the oil level and i can say that if you idle around a lot or just run at low rpms my engine does seem to raise the oil level a little. If I make a long high speed run it gets the engine hot enough and the level goes back down. I think as long as the engine has had the factory replaced powerhead if it was an early year (2010 - 2011) and you get some warranty protection then it can be a good deal. One thing is sure, the power and smoothness of the Sho can't be beat at least in my opinion.

Nothing out of the ordinary that you need to be concerned with. I've had one of the first SHO's off the assembly line and have run it since 2010 without an issue. Buying a new boat now and it will have an SHO too.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100