Motor not starting

I have a 2001 Merc 225 EFI. Tried starting it yesterday. Sorry but not mechanically inclined. I can hear / see the start motor turning, but it is not lifting up high enough to engage the gear teeth to turn the motor.
    Any ideas / recommendations? Sorry - should have taken photos. I keep the boat stored at my brother's house, so not able to go back right now.

2. Member
    Shoot a SMALL amount of WD40 on the starter bendix. Let it soak a few minutes and attempt to start the engine.

3. Member
    batt charged ??????hmmmmm connections & clean tight,naaa don't need pics seen a few
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I just changed my starter on a 86 mariner magnum 150

i had taken it off and completely cleaned it. I didn't change the brushes and wished I did that as it is a cheap test .

anyway, you say you aren't mechanically inclined, if you put some lubricant on the upper bendix gear and it doesn't start to lift and you are 100% sure you have a good battery. Make sure it's charged and do voltage drop test over the starter motor. I would send it in for rebuild or replacement .

rebuilt pricing seems reasonable . If you have owned the boat for a long time and know the starter hasn't been abbused, execive cranking, then Rebuild it .

i hope this helps.

If if you take it apart, there is an ohm test you can do on the armature to test for continuity. I believe they should test infinity.

Best set of luck.

5. Member
    might wanna check in 3.0L section for more info on your mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................