Thread: Patoka?

Patoka?

Well has the grass grown back yet? I havent been back since May.

2. Member
    Nope drowned out for another year. Water level still 2.5 feet above summer. Maybe next year

3. Member
    I found a little in the same place up in the river that I found it last year..................but not much. Also........maybe its just me but does anyone else feel that the pleasure boat traffic has been completely off the charts this year? More than once I went by Painter Creek and they were parked out along the highway on 145..........and don't get me started about the north ramp...

If you want to fish grass, go to Monroe. There's no fish in it, but it looks too good not to drag a frog through it. I heard a rumor from a retired CO that the DNR is deliberately trying to keep the grass from coming back at Patoka so the shad don't have places to hide. He said they stocked more walleye this year and also stripers again.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Just a thought I have had ever since the grass at Patoka debate began. I remember grass growing in huge mats anywhere from 1 foot deep to 8 foot deep. Different varieties as well. If the lake raises 3-4 feet and holds there, how could the grass "drown out" entirely? If it was growing in 8 foot, it is now 12 foot and the light cannot reach it. The grass in 2 foot is now in 6 foot so should get the light need to continue to grow. Patoka is also a flood control reservoir. I really don't think there was much concern to what the fishing public thought or think about how it is maintained. Fishing and the revenue it generates is just a bonus. Supplying drinking water and controlling spring rains I would think is the first things on the agenda for lake care. JMO not based on facts.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by possum bob View Post
    Just a thought I have had ever since the grass at Patoka debate began. I remember grass growing in huge mats anywhere from 1 foot deep to 8 foot deep. Different varieties as well. If the lake raises 3-4 feet and holds there, how could the grass "drown out" entirely? If it was growing in 8 foot, it is now 12 foot and the light cannot reach it. The grass in 2 foot is now in 6 foot so should get the light need to continue to grow. Patoka is also a flood control reservoir. I really don't think there was much concern to what the fishing public thought or think about how it is maintained. Fishing and the revenue it generates is just a bonus. Supplying drinking water and controlling spring rains I would think is the first things on the agenda for lake care. JMO not based on facts.
    This is very true and the first thing that comes back at you if as a fisherman complain to the DNR about how the lake is maintained...............however as a fisherman and someone who spends his fair share of money to the DNR and businesses around the lake, the revenue generated by the fishing community and pleasure boaters is tremendous regardless what the original purpose of the lake was / is.............

7. Member
    Therm
    I do agree that the revenue is tremendous, possibly be more if the lake and area around it was better maintained for all boaters. I guess my question was really my point. If the DNR "didn't" mess with the grass, then how does it drown out with high water? Sunlight has to be getting thru at some point. May be that a heavy mat of dying/dead grass creates a toxin that is hard to remove when the water is used for drinking? Or the population of shad has the same effect? I don't have a clue. I just do not think its because the water is at a higher level.

8. Member
    Therm
    I do agree that the revenue is tremendous, possibly be more if the lake and area around it was better maintained for all boaters. I guess my question was really my point. If the DNR "didn't" mess with the grass, then how does it drown out with high water? Sunlight has to be getting thru at some point. May be that a heavy mat of dying/dead grass creates a toxin that is hard to remove when the water is used for drinking? Or the population of shad has the same effect? I don't have a clue. I just do not think its because the water is at a higher level.

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've been thinking about coming down to Patoka for a few days next week. Depends on the weather. Anyone doing any good at all right now?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

I plan to go Sunday, cruise around and graph. See if i can find anything to throw at.

11. Member
    Next week will b crowed with the usa bassin regional Saturday and Sunday. Fishing has really got tougher last 2 or 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001champ View Post
    Next week will b crowed with the usa bassin regional Saturday and Sunday. Fishing has really got tougher last 2 or 3 weeks.
    I dont see that this is a two day event.

Found it. Man that sucks. We have a small club tourny that Sunday. They will have seen every bait in the box by Sunday...

14. Member
    I think the grass was killed during the really hot dry summer a few years back when they lowered the lake in the spring expecting lots of rain that we never got. Lake was down 10 ft all summer the places that had grass was high and dry.

15. Member
    High water, summer drought a few years ago, or if it was treated, the IDNR seems to be ok without having vegetation. Vegetation provides better filtration and cleaner water. Fishing revenue is more than just a bonus. 70 % of IDNR budget is based on hunting/fishing license sales and excise tax on related gear purchased. Inside sources have said, IDNR are not fans of Bass anglers and know you'll fish regardless of how difficult it is. Hopefully the old guard will retire and new blood will make some positive changes. Personally, I only fish in IN when I have too and hopefully I won't have to fish Patoka "this time of year" many more times. Full disclosure: fished there last 3 days caught 3 fish, I'm just not good enough to fish there. FYI, Teamster's had a Tournament Saturday, I was told 5+ lbs won.

Best of Luck,
    EB

Had our dwu tourney on patoka yesterday, 13 1/2 lbs won it. Due to scheduling conflicts we only had 12 boats show up but there were a few fish caught. Heather and I only had 1 keeper, took me all day to figure something out, caught it late and lost a big one like a moron.

17. Member
    Fished a tourney there on Sunday 9/10 took 18.28 to win. We didn't figure them out til late, caught our first keeper at 1:30, managed two more before weigh in. I'm not sure where the grass went. I remember when I first started bass fishing 5 years ago, I hated Patoka due to all the grass, now I sure do miss it. They are still there, my opinion someone who is way better than me could probably catch them more consistent now without the grass vs with the grass.