Roller coaster fishing

Sorry, long read but this was at least interesting to me. So I signed up for the KBF back to schooling challenge for this weekend. Been on a great frog bite a few days before so had some decent confidence I could hopefully get to 100" for 5 bass over the weekend and place in top 10. I live in the desert so winning one of these is extremely difficult against some of the other areas in the country and the amazing competition. First trip went okay but only got one 22" and a 19.75" but that was it for quality fish. Decent start but the bite was not as hot as the previous week. So I head out Monday with the hopeful frog rod again but the confidence is shrinking. Brought some other options as well to go to finesse techniques just to fill the spots with anything. Got there way ahead of first light with the intent to find some fish to cull the 13.75" I caught the previous trip and fill the other open spots for a 5 fish total. Took awhile but finally started catching something but they all ranged from 10" to 15". Not looking good. First light comes and I prepare for the frog bite. The area was busy with other floating anglers and everybody and their mother was catching decent fish around me. I on the other hand couldn't even manage a mosquito to bite. Even tossing slow finesse techniques netted nothing. I am thinking I have wronged the fish gods somehow. One guy even asked me to take a picture of his new personal best to add insult to my bruised fishing ego. Nice fish I say. He responds with with this frog bite is awesome. I look at the frog, similar design, similar color. WTH, I guess it is just not my day. This guy's wife managed a nice fish as well. I am feeling pretty bruised now. Another guy paddles over with a 5 lber asking to borrow pliers to get the hook out( left his in truck). I am thinking everybody is out to tease me today. The bank is handing out free money to everybody but me! I eat some ritz crackers and toss down a few waters and rethink my existence at this point - LOL... The bite seemed to slow or pretty much stop(we'll never started for me). The frog has been parked for awhile now and I keep tossing some finesse stuff around. Dropshot, senko, flukes, small craws. Nothing. Then I finally catch a 17". Wow, I caught a fish, not huge but something. Keep trying but nobody is really catching anything as the sun has fully crested over nearby canyon walls and the heat rays are upon us. 30 minutes later I catch a quality 18.75". Thinking at least I'll make top half of the 100+anglers with this bag now. But it is almost time for me to head out as I don't like the heat and the busy lake and the bite is usually over. Very next cast after the 18.75" I nab a 22". Everybody around me is like this guy is killing it - what is he tossing as no one else is having luck for awhile. After the last 2 nice fish, I decide to re-tie just in case. Next cast produces a 19". Holy smokes my morning has turned around, thinking top 10 is looking very promising as I have to be around 100" for top 5. Caught a few more smaller bass on the way back to ramp to finish the morning. Spirits are high now. What a roller coaster. My total ended up at 101.5" which preliminary placed me at 6th in the challenge. Met my goal of 100" and a top 10 finish. But man for awhile there I had those 5 seconds of thoughts of selling everything fishing related on CL. If you have made it this far in my therapeutic novel, I would like to know some of your up and down stories if you like to share. If you hated it, well I am sorry. I just felt like typing this out tonight.
    Best regards,
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Thanks for the post. I would love to enter one of those tournaments some time

Great job Brian! You definitely had some good fish! Congrats on your strong finish!! Those Thompson boys are tough to beat when their bite is on!! 108.75" and 108.50" from a father and son fishing the same waters is pretty impressive and they seem to be able to do it day in and day out! Funny thing is that I bet your five fish limit "weighs" more than theirs! For some reason our West coast fish seem to be short and fat compared to their long skinny ones. I've had that talk several times with Andy Thompson Jr when we have gone back and forth for the lead. A 7lb fish for him might measure 24" when a 24" fish for me here in California is pushing 9lbs. Looks like the judging is just about done now for that event and you're still holding strong in 6th place so I think you're safe!

4. Member
    Yeah, they have some long giants there in GA. We really only have 2 lakes where you can attempt to catch 20" or greater size fish here. And they get hammered. With the recent golden algae fish kills it has been tough. I was fortunate to catch them. The Game and Fish department cancelled all fishing tourney permits for a few months here just recently. From recent boat Angler reports it appears the better / cleaner water is up river in our systems which means extremely long pedal / paddle challenges. With 86+ water temps, the big fish seem to hide well and with the recent algae issues killing them - you have to hope you are near good water or you are in for a rough day. So goes the challenge / chess match we all love and hate...
    Last edited by bksnaz; 09-06-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grammar

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Looks like a great day on the lake!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

I don't like the heat and the busy lake and the bite is usually over.

This is why I"m attracted to
    yak fishing tournaments.

Great job and fun read. Thanks for posting this. Also amazing total!!!!!
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    That's why I'm primarily a night fisherman once the summer roles around! It sucks for trying to get good pics of the fish I catch but it sure is nice having the lake pretty much to my self every night! As a matter of fact I pick up my wife from work this evening and we're headed to Clear Lake for an all nighter!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post

This is why I"m attracted to
    yak fishing tournaments.

Great job and fun read. Thanks for posting this. Also amazing total!!!!!
    thank you

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    That's why I'm primarily a night fisherman once the summer roles around! It sucks for trying to get good pics of the fish I catch but it sure is nice having the lake pretty much to my self every night! As a matter of fact I pick up my wife from work this evening and we're headed to Clear Lake for an all nighter!
    good luck, safe travels