What makes a great tourney???

Hey guys and gals... Just wondering what makes a fun tourney? Does anyone care if it is a fun tourney? Do you only do it for the money?

The reason I am writing this is because I have only fished tourneys a couple years. I have fished with quite a few different organizations and clubs and have found some are fun and some are not ( its not just if I finish poorly, because I finish poorly at all tourneys). I like the tourneys where everyone speaks to each other, laughs, and just have a good time. I enjoy the competition of fishing and wanting to win rather than just gong out and fun fishing sometimes. Some friends and I sometimes go out and put $10.00 up for the day. That is fun to me. I would love to take my kids more often to fish a tourney, but at $50-$100 a pop I just don't have the money for that.

So... Here is a thought that I had. How many people would show up if someone announced "lets fish the James next week" $25.00 nothing official mainly just for fun. Just kind of curious. Hell could even do it for free. I just like fishing with a small group of people in hopes to get better. I am sure that there has to be others in this situation.

I once thought of yes, starting a tourney series called " VA River Series" to fish most of the rivers in VA like the James, Chick, Pamunkey, Mattaponi and the Potomac. I like to fish different places as well as the back yard.

Give it to me guys tell me I suck, am stupid, cant spell, boat B maniac, bent pole pattern fool, and just don't know &!@$. BUT I STILL LOVE FISHING!!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

I'd be open to fishing somewhere with some BBC members or learning the rivers better. I've fished the Chick twice, no other rivers.

Cash or fun, doesn't matter. My biggest problem would be the travel and finding the time to do it. I swear my wife has got my butt busy this year with this new house
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

3. Member
    Are you fairly new to the area? Let me know when you have some free time and I will let you know where I am going. I fish most every weekend. My mom just bought a lake house on Gaston so I am spending alot of time there
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

No, I grew up around Richmond. Moved out to the valley for a few years and came back a little over a year ago. Regardless still fished the same lakes.

Last club tournament is the 16th and 17th this month so sometime after should work. I may try to find another tournament to hit in October.

I'm always down to fish Gaston. Hopefully we can get together for a day and catch a few. I'll try to remember to get back to you
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

5. Member
    Not centrally located to your area (yet). But would do a Potomac one.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enskyte View Post
    Not centrally located to your area (yet). But would do a Potomac one.
    Sounds good. Hopefully IRMA don't screw things up
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Tons of people just do it for the money. Most of those guys quite. Unless they keep winning.
    I do them for the competition I want to win.

8. Member
    I agree competition drives everyone harder and faster. I love competition myself.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    I like the competition side of it. Unfortunately the cost of gas (truck and boat) means that i need to occasionally get some of the money back. The lower the entry, closer the drive and , how far back into the field it pays determine what i fish.
    If i could get the last check only half the time, i would be happy. That would give me more opportunities to place at the top when conditions present .

Years back, team events drew large numbers, giving away large top prizes. The top 5 made out like bandits. The rest of the field went home with nothing. The same 8 or 9 teams would win each time. Pretty soon the teams in 10 down just quit coming. Had the payouts been spread further, i think they would have continued to show up.

This still seems to be the way tournaments operate today. I think a payout of 1 for every 3 boats would soon dominate if it had a little sponsor support

10. Member
    Good thoughts. I will chew on that a little bit. I think there are small sponsors out there that would help out
    Instead of going after 2 sponsors for thousands of $$$
    I think the better deal is lots of sponsors giving a little.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

11. Member
    You are a 100 percent correct about having 100!sponsors vs 2 of them.
    A tournament that gives away fishing rods tackle gift cards. Truck tires even day spa packages. Especially gas cards. Been awhile since I have seen those.
    That cost 30 40 50 bucks to enter people would could running.