Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It may or may not have pump out on the live wells. I have a 2011 that doesn't have pump out. It's no big deal to me because I don't tournament fish so I never fill the live wells. I came out of a Cougar and my first thought was what have I done. The first few trips I really missed the extra space on the front deck. Now I am used to it and really like the boat. Mine has a standard 150 opti and will run about 62 with just me in the boat. I seldom run it that fast because most of my fishing is on small lakes. I hope it is just what you are looking for

Some livewell functions were optional on the "regular" Sabres, and still are on the FTD Vision models. You have to bump up to the FTD Advantage Elite to get some things as standard equipment. I upgraded to Helix 7 SI and DI on console and bow. Fortrex TM, front pole and steps on the trailer (I'm old), dual consoles, and of course the Yamaha SHO 175 costs more from the get go. But, I got a rebate and 5 year warranty for "free". My dealer is strictly Yamaha or Evinrude. I would have had no problem with a Mercury Pro XS, but am glad I went with the SHO. Mine will run a solid 67 in Alabama heat, livewells full, and 30 gallons of fuel. I'm pretty sure it will see 70 in cool weather and me driving it right. That's with a 24" T2 SHO prop.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

My Sabre FTD with a 150 Opti running a 23p Tempest is a low/mid-60s boat most days. Better on some. Loves to cruise at 45-55. Corners like a go kart, and takes rough water as well as many bigger boats. A Sabre is slightly lighter and will be quicker I would think.
    Love my Sabre FTD.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Ok Folks, just got back in PA from my day in the FINE state of Alabama (Roll Tide!), looking over and running around on the Tennessee river (beautiful!) in the Sabre Vision that I'm dealing on. Here is my assessment:

1) The Sabre is a beautiful, solid and well built boat. Likewise for the trailer and they are a sharp package!
    2) Powerful! With the 150 PXS is runs like a rocket on rails, can't imagine why you would need a 175 on that little cat. My eyes were watering as it is...
    3) No questioning it, it is a small boat.
    4) A bit more wide and longer than my BT, but much more stable.
    5) It is still small and I don't gain much on the size of the front deck, specifically width.
    6) Storage is adequate, but not overwhelming, have to keep reminding myself that it is an 18' boat not a 20, so it is what it is. I travel light anyway.
    7) The 70# 24V MG TM absolutely SUX! Under powered and antiquated mechanically!
    8) They offered to upgrade the TM to the MK 80# Fortrex, which should provide enough power and with the more robust frame even provide clearance for reels underneath, where the MG was a lower profile, which is closer to the deck.
    9) Did I mention the power that thing has.
    10) The step cooler is a good step, but the cooler is worthless, unless you want to keep a pony bottle or maybe 2 in there.
    11) Access to rigging area is fine, all pumps, charger, batteries , etc. are accessible.
    12) Very garage friendly (space) and maneuverable by hand.
    13) Livewell very nice and roomy. Pump in, pump out, recirculate and empty all good.

I left there thinking, geeze, I really wish it were a tad wider so that I'm not stepping all over my rods on the deck - usually have 4 on Port side and 3 on STBD, and perhaps just a bit bigger in general.

Now that I am emphasizing all of the positives in my mind, 5 year motor warranty, Power and handling, the fact that I do prefer a smaller boat, but a fast one and how good that motor is, I'm thinking of telling them if they upgrade the TM free of charge, I'll take her, otherwise......................................... ............
    Last edited by King_Fish; 09-08-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

5. Member
    Thanks for the update! I believe the standard Sabre has one less compartment on the front deck, so I can see where it will hold less tackle than my FTD.
    I really like having the pump in-pump-out live well system. Mine has the Recirc and Aerator system also.
    The next step up is the Pantera Classic or Pantera II if your in the used boat market. Both have more room on the front deck and have slightly faster top speed.
    It all depends on where you are in your budget.
    I fish quite a bit of tournaments when I'm home. I usually keep a total of 5 rods on the front deck and is never an issue for me. For what its worth, my previous boats were 20ft Basscats.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Cajun - thanks!
    I fish a lot of tourneys up here too, at lease 1 per week. I really don't want or need a 20' boat. 19' may work, but, I've gotta stay in budget (2 kids in college) and whatever I buy I will keep for 10 years at least.

Bottom Line is that everyone here seems to love their Sabre, and that means a lot...

Hey - It appears that the rod divider (tube wall) is held in by a couple SS screws. Is that all you had to remove to free up space in the rod locker?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

7. Member
    I might make a suggestion here if you are looking at a regular sabre you might want to check out a margay with a 150. The deck is bigger and the layout is awesome. The boat is just as fast and handles rough water just as well. You could probably go uptrend and bigger graphs for the price savings. I love mine and would take it over the regular sabre as I looked at both. The ftd I would have chosen over the margay. Just food for thought.

8. Member
    One thing that does help is if you don't use a front seat, that in itself gives you extra space. I fish 80% of the time by myself and I use the 4 rod holders for the passenger quite a bit so I can keep the front deck more clear. If you fish a lot of rough water requiring the front seat you are really going to be cramped with 7-8 rods on the deck. That is probably my biggest complaint with my Sabre. I don't fish rough water or tournaments so it works good for me. Good luck with your decision.

Use the Butt Seat like a bar stool and simply sit on the seat and spin. Walking around the seat uses room, while spinning and lifting your feet is faster, less cumbersome and a smooth transition to the deck from the trolling motor.

The poster above is also right if you don't need the seat for stability.

I changed my front to a Springfield kingpin control post leaning seat. It helped the space significantly and the way it swivels - makes rod room a non-issue moving around the deck. They make this post in a pin base as well - went with this for the pic to illustrate. Tall enough that it rests against my upper butt - lower back. It was a great addition. Did have to hack saw the threaded end off the pin - it was too deep.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JStew; 09-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Thank you all very much for the info and perspective on everything...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

The FTD version will give you a bit more storage and a slightly wider front deck. The Fortrex is a great TM...it weighs more, but the durability and power is worth the extra weight. I've never cared much for MGs.

Of course, if you get a FTD Vision or a FTD Advantage Elite, I would guess you're going to pay a lot more than for the '16 model you're looking at.

There's a couple of other things on the FTD that might not seem like much, but I really like: The narrow front gunwales not only provide more space, but look better, IMO. The indention on the deck for the reels is a very nice feature. You can put 5 baitcasters there with no problem. The console/windshield is a little nicer and more sleek, and the windshield with the recurve really works...it's like having a shield that is 3" taller. I usually put 4-6 rods on the port side, and a couple of spinning outfits on the starboard, and if you use the butt seat as BCB described above, I have no problem with foot room when moving from the TM pedal to a fish landing position. The cooler on the FTD is going to be a bit larger, and has a sandwich side, BUT if you let the ice melt and run in rough water, some will let over on the sandwich side. Just pull the plug in the cooler a couple of times during the day. I can easily fit a six to eight longnecks, laid down, and plenty of ice for the day. The extra front compartment is a plus...I keep light/bulky stuff in the front one and a Plano bag with 7 boxes in it, and a few other things I might regularly use. The port side locker holds my net when not in use, pliers, the butt seat and front graph when not in use. You could easily put jackets, etc in that side as well when the weather is cold.

I don't know what kind of price you're getting, but just a wild guess on my part is that the newer FTD Vision would be 5 to 8K more, and the AE version a bit more than that. Mine was more because of the dual consoles, larger graphs, LED lights (including back up lights on both sides), the stripper pole on the trailer, and the SHO engine.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Game over my friends, I've opted for a Ranger RT198p w/ the 150 E TEC G2. This rig better suits my needs and the dealer ship is within 2 hours, so I'm gonna Let 'er eat...

Thank you all so much, I appreciate it!

BK
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

If you're happy, that's all that matters!
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

That's the point is that everyone is pleased with their selections.

16. Member

Nice choice

The ranger will make you a nice boat. If I had been buying new that would have been on my list of candidates.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    What kind of speed did you see w/ the Trophy?
    Sorry, just saw this. I'm pretty sure my best was 66.1...like I had said though I needed a blowout ring with that prop, I got one from Rich Boger but I don't think he's around anymore.

The "blowout" ring is available at any Merc dealer. It's a common and inexpensive part to purchase. If you want an upgrade - Mark Croxton (Marks Performance Props) has a stainless ring as well. I'm sure it's quite a bit pricier and my plastic Merc part has worked great so far.

19. Member
    King fish, Interesting choice. It might be a bit quicker than your tracker, but not by much! Jk I'm reading lots of posts and forum topics regarding the R brand and issues with QA. I hope they've gotten all the bugs out by now.
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

The R Boat isn't at all a bad choice. I've fished out of one a few times and thought it was a great boat. It is about as far opposite from a Sabre as you can get though. With a 4 stroke - it's incredibly quiet, handles waves very well, doesn't have hardly any tip, and feels solid as a rock. It's no go cart or speedster like the Sabre. It is a very, very stable solid fishing rig. Quality - It looked and felt very well put together. For a tin rig - I couldn't have been more impressed. Didn't even kite in the wind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12