Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Oil change question...

We bought a new 115 4 stroke last summer. Only had about 40 hrs on it when we pulled it for winter storage. Fast forward, it now has 100 hrs. Should I pull it and change the oil or run it for the rest of the season and change oil while winterizing it??? I lean towards waiting... Dan

SN 2B224433

Oil should have been changed at 20 hours after breakin per Mercury's recomendation. Then they recommend every 100 hours or once per year which ever comes first. These engines tend to allow some fuel to pass the rings and get into the oil. I consider it a very good idea to use the Mercury recommendations as a minimum procedure and change it more frequently if you spend a lot of time idling around. Need to watch oil level and if it increases above the full mark on the stick, change it immediately.

3. Member
    Mercury owners manual states 100 hours, nothing in their about a 20hr interval? unless I missed it, , that being said if your at 110hrs or close I would wait til the end of season, if your gonna end up around 150hrs I would change it now, I don't think a 20hr oil change is a bad Idea to get rid of some of the breakin material.

If you have never changed the oil i would get it changed. Like skeeter said breakin interval is first 20 hrs and the oil should be changed then. After that the interval is 100 hrs or ANNUALLY whichever occurs FIRST. As stated checking the oil level regularly is important. You are way overdue.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Pay close attention to Mercury's instructions on how much oil to put in this engine, 5.2 liters or 5.5 quarts. You DO NOT fill them to the top of the hatch marks on the dip stick. Proper level is the MIDDLE of the hatch marks. Mercury Fourstroke 10W-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Pay close attention to Mercury's instructions on how much oil to put in this engine, 5.2 liters or 5.5 quarts. You DO NOT fill them to the top of the hatch marks on the dip stick. Proper level is the MIDDLE of the hatch marks. Mercury Fourstroke 10W-30.
    Rather than all the confusion of where on the hash marks to fill the oil too. Wouldnt it be easier to just lower the capacity to the necessary level fill that amount and be done?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Not sure I understand what your asking Roy. I simply fill the recommended amount of 5.5 quarts and it is right where it needs to be on the stick.

8. Member
    I think he is talking about making the sump the exact needed capacity.

9. Member
    Or make the dipstick so when oil is at correct level (apparently no more than middle of hash mark range) it reads FULL not midway between LOW and FULL.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Or make the dipstick so when oil is at correct level (apparently no more than middle of hash mark range) it reads FULL not midway between LOW and FULL.
    This is exactly what i mean. Just like any other engine with crankcase oil or sump. Full is full anything else is not full.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

OK, yeah I have no idea what was Mercury's mindset on that.

I have never bought a 4 stroke kit. For these 115s for example how many comes in the kit compared to the corrct level on the stick? Is it a niceeven amount or is it a random thing with partials left over?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    I think the range is described as minimum and maximum (not low and full). The middle of the range is where the correct amount of oil brings you to.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

14. Member
    I have a 16 model 150 and first oil change is at 100 hours. What's up with this 20 hour mystery change ? It's not in my manual.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I have never bought a 4 stroke kit. For these 115s for example how many comes in the kit compared to the corrct level on the stick? Is it a niceeven amount or is it a random thing with partials left over?
    I just bought the kit for my 115, it comes with 5 quarts. I have 1/2 a quart left over from last oil change so I am good.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

http://mercurymarine.sv7076.si-serve...intenance.aspx

Recommended Service Intervals for Your Engine
    It is important to follow a regular service interval period (eg once every 12 mths) because in many cases you may clock up less than 100hrs of running during a year. Most engines (cars, boats, lawn mowers, etc) are designed to be used regularly and many mechanical components will begin to deteriorate with lack of use.

To ensure your confidence in the reliability and durability of your engine, much of the recommended maintenance is designed to be preventative - instead of waiting for components to be worn out or close to failing, it makes much more sense to ensure your engine starts and runs reliably when you're ready to go boating.

The months/hours specified for service intervals are in relation to the engine purchase date and are recommended for:

3 mths (from Purchase Date)or 20 hrs

12 mths(from Purchase Date) or 100 hrs

2 yrs (from Purchase Date)or 200 hrs

3 yrs(from Purchase Date)or 300 hrs

4 yrs (from Purchase Date)or 400 hrs

5 yrs(from Purchase Date)or 500 hrs
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

Dan, IMO I would have the oil change done now since you didn't have the break-in oil change performed. This will avoid issues down the road.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

18. Member
    The 20 hour is just a look at by the dealer and no maintenance is required until the 100 hour or yearly requirement is met.

19. Member
    First oil change at 100 hrs in my book, read it today.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    First oil change at 100 hrs in my book, read it today.
    http://mercurymarine.sv7076.si-serve...intenance.aspx

This is the link johnsobo posted. Looks like first service is in fact 3 months or 20hrs. 1 year or 100 hours is way too long for breaking in a motor. Everything is very tight and wearing in. Been alot of years but the 60 i had in 2008 said 20hrs in the manual for the first change.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast