striker 7sv question

when in side view, why does everything look so far away? even images under the boat seem to be a mile away. there is no chance of seeing fish on a log because the log looks like it is miles away. even with reasonable settings, such as being 20 feet deep and having the side view set at say 80, im looking 60 feet on each side and when it picks up rocks and such they look like pebbles. it would be impossible to see any fish or multiples of fish. I know this sounds weird I wish I had a shot to post here, but has anyone else noticed this?

2. Banned
    not unusual.

3. Member
    Thats just the way sidevu works. If you are interested in more technical details and discussion:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=786451
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

4. Member
    Larry has a very good link there on sonar interpretation. Even had a brain malfunction today because of it. The walleye were at 115 ft deep but scattered. I idled down a stretch parallel to a steep bank. I had PS30 LiveVu Down in the upper half of the screen and SideVu GT51 in the lower half. A cluster of 7-8 fish showed on the right against the rocks on SideVu 120 ft to the right. (I was thinking that deep). Never showed on the PS30. I kicked the trolling motor in gear and turned right. I wanted to get on these fish. When I got there it was spotted bass 20 ft deep. I should have know that instantly when they didn't show on the PS30 that they had to be shallow. Still caught 3 of them, but not what I was looking for. Wasted time messing with them.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    larry, the link you provided, page 5 post number 85. the sideview shot there is beautiful. is that a garmin? objects in that shot don't seem a mile away.

6. Member
    Two things...

Those images in that post were taken from the Garmin simulator on my 7610, so they have been cherry picked by Garmin and are the best of the best shots they could find. They are not representative of typical Garmin images.

Second, those are very large items on the bottom in relatively shallow water, so they show up well. Those things are much larger than they look.

7. Member
    gotcha okay thanks for replying. ill try and snap a few screenshots this weekend. I should have last weekend but I was too busy reeling them up while video gaming them on the 2d! I really wish I had bought this technology sooner!

8. Banned
    You could try zooming in on different areas, but it may not be much of a help

9. Member
    The sidevu zoom function sucks big time. It only zooms in one direction, which ends up stretching the image instead of enlarging it.

This is what the tires actually look like.

This is what you get when you zoom.

zoom.jpg07JUL17_0043_01.jpg

10. Member
    yep your exactly right larry. I fooled with the zoom and when I zoomed in I was like holy moly it stretched it like a rubber band lol. couldn't even tell what the hell it was. I mean for what I paid I wasn't expecting top performance and it shows the structure relatively clear with the proper distance set on each side, but it just looks like it is further away than mars. there is absolutely no way to tell if say you found a rock pile if there are any fish on it. the shadows are just to small. what I been doing is just marking the structure then running over it straight down.

another question say I have it set to 100 feet on each side. at 65 feet on the left side I mark a brush pile. I move my waypoint over It and mark a waypoint. how accurate is it when I then go to the waypoint?

11. Member
    and on that zoom feature, is it possible to shrink the size of the focal box? I think if the box was smaller, it wouldn't stretch as much because I believe that is what is stretching the image

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post
    yep your exactly right larry. I fooled with the zoom and when I zoomed in I was like holy moly it stretched it like a rubber band lol. couldn't even tell what the hell it was. I mean for what I paid I wasn't expecting top performance and it shows the structure relatively clear with the proper distance set on each side, but it just looks like it is further away than mars. there is absolutely no way to tell if say you found a rock pile if there are any fish on it. the shadows are just to small. what I been doing is just marking the structure then running over it straight down.

another question say I have it set to 100 feet on each side. at 65 feet on the left side I mark a brush pile. I move my waypoint over It and mark a waypoint. how accurate is it when I then go to the waypoint?
    Its kind of sort of close IF the bottom is fairly flat. If there is a slope or drop off it will be less accurate. The way the location is calculated assumes the bottom to be perfectly flat - which it never really is.

By the way, you cannot use the MARK function whn doing waypoints on sidevu or on the History in 2D etc. MARK always marks the boat position where it is now. You need to use the NEW WAYPOINT function instead. On my 7610, you pause the screen, then select New Waypoint.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post
    and on that zoom feature, is it possible to shrink the size of the focal box? I think if the box was smaller, it wouldn't stretch as much because I believe that is what is stretching the image
    Yes, but that doesnt really help. Anything you are zooming in on gets stretched all the way across the screen.

14. Member
    Post some screen shots so we can see what you are talking about. Might be able to help with other settings.

15. Member
    So when in side view, if I hit the up arrow and the screen stops and the crosshair comes up. I use the arrows to move over what I want to mark and hit the button next to power button....that doesn't make a waypoint for that location? And when in 2d, I hit the left arrow, screen stops, then I move crosshairs to what I want to mark, press same button, and that doesn't mark the spot, but rather the boats position in both instances (side view and 2d as described above)??? Hell you say! How would you mark a particular piece of structure then?

16. Member
    It works differently on different models and I dont know the Stryker. You might be doing it correctly - or maybe not. I have a 7610 with a touch screen so its different than the button models.

In general though..."MARK" makes a waypoint at the boats position - no matter what screen you are using. You need to look in your manual to see how to create a "NEW" waypoint at the cursor position.

Check old posts for Todd Driscol. He has explained it a few times.