Thread: Speed of Hull

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree with Tim. Slap a 300xs on any of the 3 and you have 100mph capable boat loaded to fish with the right driver and prop. I don't think the opti can push these boats into the range where the true hull differences will start to play out. Maybe a 300x would. I tested a 30p hydro from Nathan last month. It was the first of 3 I compared that morning. It went 97 with a little over 1/2 a tank. I ran it at the end of all the testing with an almost bone dry tank and I also put the trolling motor under the bow to get it out of the wind. I was going for a big number. That is nearly a 100lb difference in gas and getting the troller out of the wind should help as well. The boat ran 97.4. Almost no difference. Around 100lbs separates all 3 boats.

Denver hung a 300xs on his 2+2, so we will see how that pans out for comparing all 3 models with stock 300xs motors.

I have seen huge differences in props and the time it takes to get to high speed. To me that is the biggest reason we don't see more go faster. most are happy running 90 (way faster than most bass boats go). Not to mention no stock prop is going to run that speed. It takes about $1000 to get a worked high pitch prop to run in that realm. It will be a single purpose wheel most would never take fishing or on a rally run. I would never bring my big wheel out if I thought I might end up lining up against another boat. It's 40-90 speeds are way slower than other props I have.

Also, it takes about 1-1.5 miles to run into the high 90's. That is a lot of water and time at speed. It takes a lot of seat time at speed to feel comfortable at that speed. These are not drag boats so you won't be able to burst into big numbers and back off quick. You will have to get them aired out to do it.

My boat will run 90-95 easily any day with any prop over 28p. It will do that with the motor 1/4 - 3/8 over and neutral trim. You feel very comfortable at that setup. It is a little unruly between 95-98 and requires higher motor heights and trim. The boat is now running loose. Pucker starts above 98 when the motor is 1" over at max trim. To me it's more psychological. It's a speed that a lot of things have to line up for (perfect weight distribution, very light winds, and stable water for a long distance).

i believe these boats have 102-104 in them with a stock 300xs and a full fishing load. More if you can get the boat to run without all the gear in them stripped clean. Battery ballast is needed so not sure what can be gained by pulling all the heavy stuff out just to put the same ballast back in. We will see next month when it cools off.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 09-14-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I agree with Tim. Slap a 300xs on any of the 3 and you have 100mph capable boat loaded to fish with the right driver and prop. I don't think the opti can push these boats into the range where the true hull differences will start to play out. Maybe a 300x would. I tested a 30p hydro from Nathan last month. It was the first of 3 I compared that morning. It went 97 with a little over 1/2 a tank. I ran it at the end of all the testing with an almost bone dry tank and I also put the trolling motor under the bow to get it out of the wind. I was going for a big number. That is nearly a 100lb difference in gas and getting the troller out of the wind should help as well. The boat ran 97.4. Almost no difference. Around 100lbs separates all 3 boats.

Denver hung a 300xs on his 2+2, so we will see how that pans out for comparing all 3 models with stock 300xs motors.

I have seen huge differences in props and the time it takes to get to high speed. To me that is the biggest reason we don't see more go faster. most are happy running 90 (way faster than most bass boats go). Not to mention no stock prop is going to run that speed. It takes about $1000 to get a worked high pitch prop to run in that realm. It will be a single purpose wheel most would never take fishing or on a rally run. I would never bring my big wheel out if I thought I might end up lining up against another boat. It's 40-90 seeds are way slower than other props I have.

Also, it takes about 1-1.5 miles to run into the high 90's. That is a lot of water and time at speed. It takes a lot of seat time at speed to feel comfortable at that speed. These are not drag boats so you won't be able to burst into big numbers and back off quick. You will have to get them aired out to do it.

My boat will run 90-95 easily any day with any prop over 28p. It will do that with the motor 1/4 - 3/8 over and neutral trim. You feel very comfortable at that setup. It is a little unruly between 95-98 and requires higher motor heights and trim. The boat is now running loose. Pucker starts above 98 when the motor is 1" over at max trim. To me it's more physiological. It's a speed that a lot of things have to line up for (perfect weight distribution, very light winds, and stable water for a long distance).

i believe these boats have 102-104 in them with a stock 300xs and a full fishing load. More if you can get the boat to run without all the gear in them stripped clean. Battery ballast is needed so not sure what can be gained by pulling all the heavy stuff out just to put the same ballast back in. We will see next month when it cools off.
    I think you are correct on this. Cooler weather will be interesting around here!!! Hopefully the wake boats are safely put away now as well. LOL
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Well said!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    300x hp is already on the back of Tim Powell's boat. I have been around a few XB21 owners I haven't heard one of them say " My boats fast enough I am not going to mess with it any more" Not much complacency in this group that I see.

5. Member
    For a bit of history and clarification, my good friend Jim West ran an XTB 111 on one pass many years ago and on the next pass he was at 113. Was this a loaded to fish setup? Not a chance. But he did post those speeds with Darris there with him. Us 250 hp guys running full tournament loads and stock motors can expect honest to goodness mid-high 80's. Can I run low 90's? Sure, but not loaded for tournaments. When I got my first Bassport several years ago I ran it 90 one day and had plenty left in the throttle. I backed off because I did not feel I had enough seat time to go past that number. As was said earlier, the more miles and run time we get the better off we can drive and push the limits. If I did not like speed and performance I'd be fishing out of a Ranger or any number of other boats that fish great. They just don't have the speed and feel of a Bassport. So, since I have to spend so much time teaching Powell and Whiplash how to drive my speeds have suffered some....but what the heck, somebody has to bring this new generation of speed hogs along. LOL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    For a bit of history and clarification, my good friend Jim West ran an XTB 111 on one pass many years ago and on the next pass he was at 113. Was this a loaded to fish setup? Not a chance. But he did post those speeds with Darris there with him. Us 250 hp guys running full tournament loads and stock motors can expect honest to goodness mid-high 80's. Can I run low 90's? Sure, but not loaded for tournaments. When I got my first Bassport several years ago I ran it 90 one day and had plenty left in the throttle. I backed off because I did not feel I had enough seat time to go past that number. As was said earlier, the more miles and run time we get the better off we can drive and push the limits. If I did not like speed and performance I'd be fishing out of a Ranger or any number of other boats that fish great. They just don't have the speed and feel of a Bassport. So, since I have to spend so much time teaching Powell and Whiplash how to drive my speeds have suffered some....but what the heck, somebody has to bring this new generation of speed hogs along. LOL
    Hey Powell, I told you preacher man would think he's Mario Andretti after we twisted on his mota. �� We can't learn him nothing except how to catch brown fish. Woody

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    Hey Powell, I told you preacher man would think he's Mario Andretti after we twisted on his mota. �� We can't learn him nothing except how to catch brown fish. Woody
    Exactly what I was thinkin
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    You guys better learn to respect your elders. You have to sleep sometimes. I still have not forgotten the time you tried to drown me.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

10. Member
    Hey Johnny....as an XTB owner, I would love to hear more about Jim's run. How stripped was the boat and how modified was his motor? I just heard bits and pieces of that story, but I figured it was close to truth based on the source I got it from. Any added info would be great.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbuck50 View Post
    Hey Johnny....as an XTB owner, I would love to hear more about Jim's run. How stripped was the boat and how modified was his motor? I just heard bits and pieces of that story, but I figured it was close to truth based on the source I got it from. Any added info would be great.
    Jim was running very light with a very worked 200 top on the back. I can't remember all the specifics but it was not anywhere close to loaded weight. Best I can guess is the way they had the motor set up he was well over 250 horses. If you want to talk with him about it let me know and I'll get you two hooked up. They don't come any better than Jim West.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post

I have seen huge differences in props and the time it takes to get to high speed. To me that is the biggest reason we don't see more go faster. most are happy running 90 (way faster than most bass boats go). Not to mention no stock prop is going to run that speed. It takes about $1000 to get a worked high pitch prop to run in that realm. It will be a single purpose wheel most would never take fishing or on a rally run. I would never bring my big wheel out if I thought I might end up lining up against another boat. It's 40-90 seeds are way slower than other props I have.

My boat will run 90-95 easily any day with any prop over 28p. It will do that with the motor 1/4 - 3/8 over and neutral trim. You feel very comfortable at that setup. It is a little unruly between 95-98 and requires higher motor heights and trim. The boat is now running loose. Pucker starts above 98 when the motor is 1" over at max trim. To me it's more physiological. It's a speed that a lot of things have to line up for (perfect weight distribution, very light winds, and stable water for a long distance).

Nope

13. Member
    River is running 1.62 gears. Add 2" of pitch if your running 1.75s

14. Member
    I have no desire to go that fast on the water.......just wanted to get the story. Its not every day you get to hear about an XTB cranking out those kind of numbers.

Sorry, not following you hooken203.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

16. Member
    RR.. I believe that he does not agree as he has a 300 and isn't close maybe?

17. Member
    Bingo A 300 won't nessisarly get you to above 90 mph on an XB21. And the question about 300X power Tim Powell's boat is running that power level now.

Got my boat and all my props in Minnesota come on up. You can run my boat and we can run my wheels on your boat. My stuff is legit. Jay and Chris Bailey have run my boat. Jay ran my boat 98. Chris ran 93 with my Bravo. Always loaded to fish. Chris had never run an Allison until the day he ran my boat and Jay's boat. Mine was way out of balance that day and he ran 93.

I have a cherry picker and wedges and 2" spacers. We can play around with your setup and see what is going on. I'm sure running my 32 will put up a big number on your boat. It has on any boat it has run on.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

19. Member
    Hooken, have you taken your power poles off yet to see what it does? As you know Lee has stated a 4mph loss with poles. And you have seen 88. So you are at least a 90mph boat off the factory floor.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    Hooken, have you taken your power poles off yet to see what it does? As you know Lee has stated a 4mph loss with poles. And you have seen 88. So you are at least a 90mph boat off the factory floor.
    I'm pretty sure Kevin ran 87.5 without the poles last week.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast