Thread: Wipe New?

Wipe New?

Just got back from Dale. My parents friends have an older Sea Ray. The red was faded how you would expect an older boat to be. I have babied my 87 Winner and I couldn't be more happy with her gelcoat. But let's face it - hours of wet sanding and buffing can get old over the years.

I noticed that the red was back and asked him how he liked the wet sanding process (would've been his first expierence). He said he didn't and used a product I've never heard before and haven't seen on this forum.

Wipe New Marine wipenew.com/wipe-new-marine/

I'm skeptical. I know products have advanced over the years. But to me it's a short cut. I know there are a lot of people with live times of knowledge on here who have helped myself and others in the past, but let's here some testimonials, experiences, opinions. After doing some research the past few nights it looks like amazing stuff, but I still don't think I could pull the trigger.

Tight lines

2. Member
    Careless waxing of my boat caused some of the black trim to turn white. Bought a bottle of Wipe New. Used it on the trim and it looked like new, just like in their commercials. A little bit goes a long way. Have used it on motor trim and other surfaces. I like the results.

John

It's smoke and mirrors at best. The fading will be back quickly. The only way to solve the issue is to cut through oxidation and get it off by sanding.....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    The rear corners of my black 188 Ranger had turned white from oxidation. I tried the new rustoleum product "Recolor" to see what would happen. To my surprise it turned it back to black and two months later it's still black. It did not bring the shine back at least it's back to the original color.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born to fish View Post
    Careless waxing of my boat caused some of the black trim to turn white. Bought a bottle of Wipe New. Used it on the trim and it looked like new, just like in their commercials. A little bit goes a long way. Have used it on motor trim and other surfaces. I like the results.

John
    I totally agree. Any opinion on wet sanding then using wipe New? I wonder if it can even be sealed...

Please do not water sand you gel and use anything but a compound and wool pad on a rotary machine.
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Please do not water sand you gel and use anything but a compound and wool pad on a rotary machine.

8. Member
    I've bought a bottle of it. leaves an oily residue on the glass. Does look good in the end but the residue put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane01 View Post
    I've bought a bottle of it. leaves an oily residue on the glass. Does look good in the end but the residue put me off.
    That oily residue does wonders on the gel coat pores....
    www.ncboatguy.com