Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

920 Wet Storage Compartments, is it just me....

So.... hit my first good rain storm in my new Phoenix the other day. about 3 miles and 5 minutes of absolute down pour. Really disappointed. Every compartment wet, not just moisture/damp. Had couple of bins that I keep stuff like hooks, weights, glue, line, etc in.... that had nearly an inch of water standing in them. All my storage boxes were damp/wet on the exterior. Standing water in the bottom of the two center storage compartments. Carpet in the rod lockers damp. Not to mention ruining two manuals that were in the center box between the driver and passenger seats.

My dealer says this is not normal. Another Phoenix long term owner says this is not normal. Dealer says he wants the boat for a day or two to investigate, says that the compartment latches have an adjustment that can be made. All I know is that my previous boat I would have had to actually fished in a steady rain all day and then some more for the storage to be that wet. Very disappointed. To the point that IF this is going to be the normal I am struggling to see keeping a 65K boat that is the wettest boat I have ever owned.

Please someone throw me a bone.... Is this the elephant in the room that no one will talk about with a Phoenix? I sure hope not....
    2019 Skeeter ZX250 / 250SHO
    Brian

2. Member
    Fished in steady down pours with only the passenger rod box getting wet so definitely not the norm.
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    passenger rod locker and the little small step boxs should be the only thing that might get damp, all other lockers completely dry on mine from rain and from washing my carpet many times
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    passenger rod locker and the little small step boxs should be the only thing that might get damp, all other lockers completely dry on mine from rain and from washing my carpet many times
    Same here

5. Member
    not just you. I love my bird but they are far from water tight. Don't take it wrong I love my bird so much I'm ordering another one. However calling a spade a spade both front compartments both front rod lockers and passenger rod locker and step compartments all get wet in fact very wet every time it is ruff out and I'm taking water over the bow. Even the lightest of rain gets in passenger rod locker. I had dealer adjust all my latches and it was no help.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    not just you. I love my bird but they are far from water tight. Don't take it wrong I love my bird so much I'm ordering another one. However calling a spade a spade both front compartments both front rod lockers and passenger rod locker and step compartments all get wet in fact very wet every time it is ruff out and I'm taking water over the bow. Even the lightest of rain gets in passenger rod locker. I had dealer adjust all my latches and it was no help.
    Dumb question but do you have the pedestal seat plugs in?

7. Member
    Wasn't there a video where Aaron Martens added weather stripping and extra rubber underneath the lids of his bird to keep them sealed up? I could be wrong but I thought I watched the video a few years ago.

8. Member
    Was taking mine to the dealership and got caught in a torrential down pour for more than an hour, was also stuck in stop and go traffic. When I got to the dealership they had around 2’ of water in their parking lot….I asked what their launch fees were.

Only thing that was wet was the passenger rod locker and the center box between the seats although I didn’t have it snapped to hold it down. Overall I was pretty impressed there was not more water in the compartments.

Aaron Martens did couple on the adding weather stripping.

I did the mat and put some under the 2 black bins on the step and that kept the water out of the bin and the small storage below.

I fish a lot in down pours. Yesterday for example it rained all day long and I had hundreds of waves it seemed like come over the bow flooding out the boat while fishing. Definitely the worst conditions I've ever fished a tourney in. I've never opened my lockers up front and had water pooled up. But when the boat is parked at an angle in the drive way or slightly tilted forward water will get in. But being on the water I haven't had it happen yet to my knowledge.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

10. Member
    Thanks guys for the info. My issue was trailering the boat, but none the less; should not be that way. Will see what the dealer comes up with, going to take it back next week.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250 / 250SHO
    Brian

11. Member
    Make sure the boat isn't leaning with the front down while trailering. The only time mine ever leaked was when I was parked with the front down so water couldn't drain down the channels.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBendBassin View Post
    Dumb question but do you have the pedestal seat plugs in?
    When it is very ruff I plug 2nd hole and have seat in 1st hole. Every compartment gets water up front. Like I said love the boat but from day 1 till now hard to keep dry.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    When it is very ruff I plug 2nd hole and have seat in 1st hole. Every compartment gets water up front. Like I said love the boat but from day 1 till now hard to keep dry.
    With the front deck standing in inches of water, and the boat bobbing around like a cork, it's nearly impossible to keep boxes totally dry. And that goes for all brands. If it we're sitting level in the water you might have a chance, but that's never the case in big water. Drain systems won't work with the bow pitching up down and side to side. Water will find it's way in somewhere in those conditions, and anyone that says it doesn't in "their boat" is lying.

14. Member
    Soaked the boat purposely, fished in downpours. Every scenario from boat on trailer, fishing on water, parked etc. Only compartment that gets water is the passenger one because it pools there per the design. Every other compartment is dry unless we do not plug the ped holes.

first thing we did was snug up the compartment lid latches so that when in the closed position it is tight.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    With the front deck standing in inches of water, and the boat bobbing around like a cork, it's nearly impossible to keep boxes totally dry. And that goes for all brands. If it we're sitting level in the water you might have a chance, but that's never the case in big water. Drain systems won't work with the bow pitching up down and side to side. Water will find it's way in somewhere in those conditions, and anyone that says it doesn't in "their boat" is lying.
    I agree 100%, even in a total down pour of rain it stays dry when calm or on level trailer. When it is ruff out is the trouble, and I also agree no boat is dry when it is ruff. I find that most people who say their boat stays dry when it is ruff define ruff as a few waves coming over the bow, not running two bilge pumps for 6 hours plus..

16. Member
    Mine got really wet in the passenger and front compartment the other day. I opted out of the storage in very front compartment and had shoved something up in front that pulled my water drains for seat post out of their holes got the front compartment and passenger rod box wet. I also noticed the front cup holder on the new 721 and the PHX did not have a drain hose attached to it it is positioned just if front of the driver side rod box. I pulled mine and put a drain hose on it ran it down to hull. Mine was sitting slightly nose down in the campground which did not help ether
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

17. Member
    You need to look at the front pedestal holes from inside the boxes. My 2013 920 had an issue there with the drain system that was place.

18. Member
    2015 721 never got water in any compartments. Fished several times in the rain!

19. Member
    2017 920 was in a tourney,poured for 6 hrs..water over bow....not a drip.in any box...60hrs on boat..

20. Member
    2014 920 Small leak in passenger rod box and some water in the console during a long down pour every thing else stays dry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast