MinnKota Heading Sensor Won't Calibrate

Took my Ultrex (non-Link) out today for the first time. Paired the heading sensor, no problem. Went through the steps on the remote to start calibration. With the trolling motor down, I used my gas motor to drive in 2 circles. At the end of the two circles, I got an error saying it did not calibrate and to try again. Tried 6 times before I was too PO'd too keep after it.

My boat is a Larson FX1850TL. I've got my heading sensor mounted on the back corner, where I was instructed to mounted. It's 14 feet from the trolling motor. Pairs just fine, so it's not a bluetooth signal issues.

Here's a pic of the error I got.

What's up?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

2. Member
    Did you take a magnetic compass around the area? That would be my first guess. Took me a bit to find an 'open' area on my boat.

3. Member
    Ah crap! I got magnetic interference. Already drilled my holes in the gunwale, too. Stupid, Stupid, STUUUUPIIIID!
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

4. Member
    Oops. Sorry wrong forum. Thought I was in the trolling motor forum.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFreaks View Post
    Oops. Sorry wrong forum. Thought I was in the trolling motor forum.
    You are!!

John

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    You are!!

John
    Oh geez. I'm going batty.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFreaks View Post
    Oh geez. I'm going batty.
    No I'm not! It got moved here from the Lowrance forum. Thanks admins.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

8. Member
    Have you tried doing the calibration using the trolling motor and not the outboard?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Have you tried doing the calibration using the trolling motor and not the outboard?
    I did try, but it seemed that once I was in the control mode to do the calibration, there was no option to run the Ultrex.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    calibration needs to be done with the trolling motor pointed straight and circles need to be done with outboard. 99.9 percent sure magnetic interference is the issue.

11. Banned
    thats totally opposite of everything i read. i did mine with the trolling motor, not the outboard. how the motor is pointed doesn't matter. the heading sensor is always pointing forward when installed properly

12. Member
    I calibrated mine using the trolling motor too. The motor pointing as straight as possible is for the heading offset you set AFTER the calibration.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    thats totally opposite of everything i read. i did mine with the trolling motor, not the outboard. how the motor is pointed doesn't matter. the heading sensor is always pointing forward when installed properly

Can be done either way I guess , we were informed by Minn Kota to do it the way I described. If it worked using the trolling motor, then thats great as well.

14. Banned
    i read like 30 different threads here before i did mine. looks like it doesn't matter which motor you use. one person even calibrated his with the boat on the trailer in the parking lot. like said above the motor pointing forward is heading offset

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i read like 30 different threads here before i did mine. looks like it doesn't matter which motor you use. one person even calibrated his with the boat on the trailer in the parking lot. like said above the motor pointing forward is heading offset
    As long as it calibrates doesn't matter how ya got there... on a side note i rarely use my jog feature. I haven't even had my remote out in a month or so. How did that work ??..did he drive around in the parking lot in circles?

16. Banned
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=ultrex+setup

Quote Originally Posted by sjc View Post
    You can perform the calibration with the boat on the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle in a parking lot.
    Lower the trolling motor and ensure it will not interfere with the trailer or the ground when doing the 360 circles.
    Select the calibrate function on the remote.
    Drive 2 complete circles and watch the remote. Will show if calibration was successful.

Did mine yesterday am before the tourney.Worked fine.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Well that's cool, guess doesn't matter how you do your circles!

18. Member
    Unless they changed the procedure it doesn't say TM deployed and said "drive the boat" which if taken literally would mean on main engine but either way will work. Calibration is measuring the difference between the magnetic compass heading and physical alignment to keel to determine an offset. I did it both ways just for a comparison.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

19. Member
    Did you get it to cailbrate? I'm having the same problem with a Riptide Terrova. I moved the sensor and still getting the failed cal. message.

20. Member
    I did get mine to calibrate. I had to move it from where I originally had it mounted. Again...my stupidity for not checking for magnetic interference. Have you grabbed a magnetic compass and checked if you've got magnetic interference? I was able to download a magnetic compass app on my Samsung Galaxy S7. That's how I figured out my interference. I checked a couple spots before I chose my final spot to mount it.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN