Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Banned
    I've never seen that humminbird one. The garmin heading sensor is made by airmar so it's the same as theirs but a tad more expensive

these are the new ones and they are actually made by them

https://www.boemarine.com/products/g...21095?ref=boe2

https://www.boemarine.com/products/g...24423?ref=boe2

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I've never seen that humminbird one. The garmin heading sensor is made by airmar so it's the same as theirs but a tad more expensive

these are the new ones and they are actually made by them

https://www.boemarine.com/products/g...21095?ref=boe2

https://www.boemarine.com/products/g...24423?ref=boe2

I knew about Steady Cast from your Garmin posts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterStew View Post
    Not exactly. HB can pound sand for not including it in the original Solix for such an astronomical price, and for claiming it didn't need one on my original query to them. But this thread is long and I understand how you thought it might be BPS related.
    If you think the Solix are "astronomical" price some of the other comparable brands & their versions of HS add ons ( because they don't come with).

The Solix is the best value out there as far as I can see in comparison.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

4. Banned
    maybe one day they will figure out how to build them into the unit

5. Member
    I would guess they could do it now but most likely cost prohibitive.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Solix SI specs show HS--optional. I guess HB is correct, it doesn't need it to operate-subject to interpretation.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    no one offers an internal heading sensor. it's simply not possible yet. the solix prices are also less than most comparable models from other manufacturers. they statement that 'it didn't need one' is partially correct. It's not needed by most user and it's not needed for the unit to function. It's simply beneficial for certain people who fish a certain way, like offshore fisherman. the cost of the heading sensor is also very competitive in the marker. my airmar heading sensor lists for $700. the humminbird model is around $150. the lowrance point 1 is over $200 and the garmin steady cast is a tad cheaper. Ive got 2 i need to remove from my boat and sell them
    I'm looking to buy one pretty quick, If you are looking to sell one let me know.

8. Banned
    will do. hoping to get into the shop next week or the week after. just have to decide what im moving where

So here is my question and experience with the internal heading sensor

I fished a river that runs north to south and you point the boat north into the current yet drift south with the current using the trolling motor just to keep you pointed north

Since the current was right at 3 mph the GPS has no problem seeing that I'm moving south

So the unit says I'm pointed south yet the boat is actually pointed north

I would say that the internal HS is not magnetic

When I saw something on the SI screen and marked it the waypoint shows up on the wrong side of the track thus the wrong location

Will the AS GPS HS w/heading sensor correct this issue

Will the heading sensor realize I’m going backwards and place the waypoint in the correct location?
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    So here is my question and experience with the internal heading sensor

I fished a river that runs north to south and you point the boat north into the current yet drift south with the current using the trolling motor just to keep you pointed north

Since the current was right at 3 mph the GPS has no problem seeing that I'm moving south

So the unit says I'm pointed south yet the boat is actually pointed north

I would say that the internal HS is not magnetic

When you mark a waypoint it shows up on the wrong side of the track thus the wrong location

Will the AS GPS HS w/heading sensor correct this issue

Will the heading sensor realize I’m going backwards and place the waypoint in the correct location?

You must have gotten lost in this thread. First thing is there is NO internal heading sensor of any kind.

Heading will show the direction the bow is pointed if installed correctly. To have heading, you need the AS GPS HS antenna.

Heading does not indicate direction of movement, the Course Projection Line does and that is a GPS function. You do not get that under .6mph.

Course is a GPS satellite function, and heading is a compass function. Two completely different things, not related in any way. The AS GPS HS has both.

If you have a AS GPS HS antenna and the bow is pointed West and you are drifting South in current over .6 mph, you will have two lines on the Chart view. One pointed West (heading) and one pointed South (Course).

Edited, in your example, if the bow is pointed North and you are drifting South, with a AS GPS HS antenna, you will have a Heading line pointed North and a Course line pointed South (if going .6mph>).
    Using the Head Up Chart Orientation setting, the top of the Chart will be the direction the bow is pointed and waypoints will be displayed in relation to that direction.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 09-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If show and tell will help you understand, these two screen shots are from when I use using one of my 1198's for the 360. I had North Up Chart Orientation, did not turn on the Heading Line or 360 Navigation. The bow icon shows bow direction in the Chart view.

Waypoint Hr9 is a brush pile and in this screen shot it was South West of my boat's position and it is displayed Southwest on the 360 view with bow pointed North.

Same brush pile with the bow pointed Northwest and the bow almost directly on the brush pile. The brush pile is displayed on the 360 view where the bow is pointed:

There is no Course Line in either screen shot since I was not moving either time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Sorry to dig up an older thread but this has answered most of my questions. turns out I was confused about the heading sensor that came with my new Ulterra. Now I see that I need the AS GPS HS in order to function with my new Solix. Question: Will the AS GPS HS replace the Minn Kota heading sensor or will I need both heading sensors? One for Ulterra another for Solix?

Thanks!
    Craig

The one for the Minn Kota is only for the Minn Kota .... need a seperate one for the unit. Maybe they will eventually change that, but that is how it is for now.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

14. Member
    Makes sense now. Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345