Gaston snot grass

So called in the know guy with the LAG (Lake Gaston Association) claims weed control people are going to attempt to harvest the nasty stuff with some new machine that will pull it out of the lake. Thoughts? I think most of the stuff is too deep to get to and the May cause it to spread by disturbing it.

I call it "Witches hair" and it stinks. Don't think they will get it out of the lake...it grows way to deep!
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE-SOMEONE PAID.

Lyngbya...........actually, the spraying has reduced it quite a bit in our creek, but there is still plenty of it. As for harvesting it, I can only see that being possible in shallow areas, and that somewhat defeats the purpose.

4. Member
    Bad idea IMO. The machine would destroy the bottom of the lake. Why folks feel the need to kill every bit of vegetation in the waters they live on is beyond me!

5. Member
    Agree JP
    Wyoming Blu ... Hook Up or Shut Up... Are you looking for a great club try http://www.littlecreekbassanglers.com/#!contact/c24vq

Lyngbya is not vegetation.

7. Member
    What is the grass y'all are talking about? I only know of 2 grasses. I call 1 angel hair. It is on the bottom and stinks. Then the other is the tall grass that grows about a foot above the water. Which one is it or is it something I don't know about?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Saying "harvest" makes it sound valuable for something. And to think I might have been cussing and discarding a gold mine all this time .
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    What is the grass y'all are talking about? I only know of 2 grasses. I call 1 angel hair. It is on the bottom and stinks. Then the other is the tall grass that grows about a foot above the water. Which one is it or is it something I don't know about?
    The "angel hair" you are referring to is lyngbya, a form of algae that grows on the bottom. I call it "witches hair" cause it stinks.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE-SOMEONE PAID.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger va 1 View Post
    The "angel hair" you are referring to is lyngbya, a form of algae that grows on the bottom. I call it "witches hair" cause it stinks.
    Yea I guess witches hair sounds better. I know a lot of the HOA's around the lake spray for it every year. But I have not noticed it out deep much mostly under 2 fow. It is a real pain in the azz that's for sure, but if it does not hurt the fish then what is the right approach????
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Check out a video of Lyngbya removal from the Crystal River in Florida. It's a very labor intensive process I doubt the same will be used on Gaston. They triple filter the water before putting it back in the river.

12. Member
    If they let the hydrilla grow at the lower end I bet that grass would go away but everyone is spraying it

13. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Just spent the last two days there, found some hydrilla at the backs of some creeks. The snot wasn't bad at all. Fishing was tough, a lot of smaller fish and they were all pretty skinny... hope this winter they can fatten up..
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

14. Member
    When I went fishing Saturday at lake gaston and put in at pea hill landing there was an older guy putting in a kayak. Talked to him a few minutes and he said he worked for N C STATE. Had a rake tied on a rope and was going around the edges checking for grass. Right at the landing he found some and would type it in on his I pad and that put gps coordinates in. He stated he was doing between the two bridges and he also had a crew out in lizard creek behind the bridge. He also said they put 2000 grass carp behind the bridge in pea hill a couple of years ago. On the fishing only caught 6 mostly small.

They have been sampling the entire lake since the lyngbya showed up. Not too much of it in Pea Hill....and unfortunately, since the lyngbya is not grass, the carp won't touch it. They start the next round of lyngbya treatments next week.

Glad I was fortunate enough to have fished Gaston in its Glory, Those who have not have no clue what youve missed. Yes fish can still be caught but it was so much better when the grass was readily available. Have no problem with keeping your dock area clean but killing all the grass even way up river seems crazy to me. Still my favorite lake by far but would love to see a happy medium with the grass

Wish I could have fished it more before the grass slaying got out of hand. I agree though, still my favorite lake
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

18. Member
    The hydrilla I believe would over power the snot grass as i call it if they let it come back... but I think without it... it will be tough and now they are pulling so much water hydrilla not growing like it use to. I will be curious what they decide to do .....

Love to see milfoil take hold in there!!!!! I figure the spotted bass in there will make a bigger impact than the grass ever will, but folks after the grass could care less about the quality of the fishing or the lake in general for the matter.