Registration Rules

Hey guys I want to register my new boat and wanted to ask you guys if I am missing anything. I have the previous owners registration the yellow copy. The guy I bought it from never registered it because the tag was good till this year. I do have a bill of sale from the guy I just bought it from. Do I need anything else? I was told you didnt have to have much of anything to register one in TN. Thx

2. Member
    Yr state will have all the required forms online. Also don't forget the trailer if it has one. Same as before. TN dmv will have everything listed online. In General all u need is his reg. Bill of sale with hull, motor, trailer listed separate.

3. Member
    Hmmm. You have a bill of sale, but NOT from the (previous) registered owner. That wouldn't fly in Texas. Watching this thread.

4. Member
    Yeah im worried i will have to try and track down the last guy who registered it.

5. Member
    As far as I know all you need is a bill of sale. We don't register the motors or the trailers and I have got bill of sales for just the hull and not had to pay the extra taxes on the motor or trailer if it's a used boat.

6. Member
    That makes me feel better kicker. All the info I can find on our great state is bill of sale on hull is all you need.

7. Member
    I hope I am wrong...but....

Someone owns a boat. It is either sold or perhaps stolen.

No one ever changes the boat's title/ownership papers from the original owner.

Next guy in line gives you a Bill of Sale, for a boat that he doesn't technically own.

You take it into the State. Why would they give you a new registration?

They can go back to the last registered owner to verify it is not stolen. The person that purchased from the registered owner and sold it to you likely didn't pay taxes since they never registered it. The state will probably ask for the person who sold it to you to pay their taxes that were due before you can register it. Unless the person that sold it to you can prove they paid taxes on it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    They can go back to the last registered owner to verify it is not stolen. The person that purchased from the registered owner and sold it to you likely didn't pay taxes since they never registered it. The state will probably ask for the person who sold it to you to pay their taxes that were due before you can register it. Unless the person that sold it to you can prove they paid taxes on it.
    I agree with Jason

State of TN is pretty militant about collecting their sales tax. That is the issue I see with the way it is described. I would think that the person you are buying it from will have to show how they paid the taxes - unless they are a dealer.

10. Member
    When I bough my Gambler I traded in my old Ranger at a dealership. They sold the Ranger and last year I got a notice that the registration on my Ranger was running out. The new owner had not registered it yet and I came to find out that you are required to report to TWRA that the boat has been sold.