Thread: How much trim

How much trim

I have had my boat (BasSport Pro Dual console) since December 2016. I have been driving bass boats for a long time. I have had a 21XRD, Triton 20x and 3 Triton 21 HPs. All with 250 Pro XS except the XRD had 250 XS racing with a sportmaster 1.62. I could drive it to 88 ish. Most of the Tritons (except 1) ran in the mid to upper 70s.
    On my BasSport I am running a 250 Pro XS Torquemaster 1.75 with dual poles. My best speed was 82 before poles and I had 2 inch spacers. I switched to the Allison 4" spacers. Now I am running 75-76 tops. This is loaded full tank of fuel, me and my son(200 lbs each). Best speed is at 5800 rpm, 1" below pad, running a 28 Bravo XS (stock), around 15 psi wp. The question is, how much are you guys trimming? I am at 34% on my Lowrance, I think it's about 8-8.4 on my smartcraft. Very nervous trimming much more than that. I know every boat and driver are different, just curious as to how much more I can go.

on the smartcraft, 0 is all the way down and 10.1 is where tilt starts.

I never run over 1 digit above neutral. On my boat (with trim wedges) neutral is 7.6. I run mostly 8.2 and 8.4 when maxed out. On occasion I have run 8.6. I believe 6.6 is typically neutral on boats without wedges.

I would check what setting neutral is on your boat. Same process as leveling the pad, just turn the key on and look at what number the gauge says when the motor is level/parallel with the pad.

I run 3/4 to 1" over the pad. Motor seems very low, did you raise it after adding the additional 2" spacers?
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I have a hydraulic jp. I can go up at least one more inch, maybe 2, but with the trim in the 8 range, I lose water pressure and steering torque is super stiff. Keep in mind I have a torquemaster. But maybe a little less trim and higher on the jp is the answer. Thank you for the reply.

Double checked everything. Neutral trim is at 6.6
    i am running at 6.8 normally which is 32% on my Lowrance HDS

i can jack up to 3/4" above pad.
    Last edited by SP1973; 09-03-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Your setup is very different from mine. You can't run as high without the sportscaster. I would go up some (1/4") at a time and see how it runs. I know with my boat I went up when I added setback.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Thanks River Rocket. I think I am getting all I can get out of it.

7. Member
    I believe that torquemaster is holding you back. It is amazing how much it helps to raise the motor another inch.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

I went with it because of the warranty and I primarily fish lakes that won't let me air it out with the exception of Pickwick
    a few times per month.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    If 6.6 is neutral on your boat and you are only trimming to 6.8, I would try adding a little bit more positive trim around 7.2 - 7.4 should do the trick but that will not pickup the amount of speed you are down. I haven't ran a ally with the WM but I know of another one having very similar issues and it all seems to point back to the WM gearcase.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Member
    I don't have a trim guage. I typically trim till it feels wrong (kiting) or until the GPS starts stops gaining mph or even losing a few tenths of mph instead of gaining.

I had my boat emptied out over the offseason and had been struggling with topend for a bit. The last time I ran, I was having trouble running much past 85 (from even to 1/2" above) and the boat. I kept having to move weight FORWARD and it kept getting better and better using the same fell/lose mph trim guage. I ran and tested for about a half hour half hour solid just getting shaking the rust off. I had moved 50 lbs of lead shot approx. 10 feet forward at 1/8"-1/4" above was at 89.9 when I ran out of nerve and daylight and was feeling pretty good and the boat was still behaving better and better. The last run was about 4-5 miles at 88/89 and through some corners. it ended when I hit some largish rouge rollers at 89.9 Luckily I hit them straight on and did not hook but it got my attention. I know once I get the motor up it will run the 91 like I did previously and possibly more with that particular prop as Triton 21 borrowed it and ran 92.5 with it at 1/2" above.

So I guess, don't discount your balance not only side to side but front to back as well. is what I was getting at. Just moving weight forward, nothing left or right the boat gained 5 mph and went from ill handling to a well mannered

11. Moderator
    Nathan, The reason you were able to pick up speed and improve handling by moving weight forward is because you were probably running with negative trim to keep the bow from being flighty. In that situation, the nose of the gear case is not attacking the water at the correct angle causing the water to push up on the bottom of the gear case and causing handling problems. By moving weight forward you have to add more trim which gets the gear case back to the correct angle of attack.
    This doesn't mean that everyone should go out and move weight forward, it is rare that this happens but it does at times when running solo.

12. Member
    That makes sense.

13. Member
    SP1973 I have been playing with a set up just like yours for about five years. XB21 250xs 1.75 gears several different props 28 to 30 pitch. My best was 83 mph with that set up. Lee got it to run 86.5 with the boat empty and A 30 pitch Bravo. New boat 2016 XB21 300xs 1.75 gears. I bought a 28 pitch intimidator OT 4 and as of now that's been my fastest prop 86.8 at 6170. The best part about that is all the experts said that prop won't run on that boat. That was with all my gear out of the boat and half a tank of gas. I put 75 lbs of ballast back in it to try to get the boat to run level. I moved 50 of it to as far forward and in the port side as it would go. Not a good idea boat was constantly rocking back and forth at anything above 80 mph spooky to drive. 28 pitch Promax on it now this is the best all around prop I have had on the boat fair hole shot and drives good. All along everybody has been telling me the power poles are killing your speed. Well they are coming off tonight and I will see tomorrow how that goes. Its only a test I wouldn't be without them. I will keep you posted.

14. Member
    Kevin I don't think 28 p and 1.75 will run 90..not enough pitch. GonnA run outta rpms somewhere between 86-88 I feel. I just got a 28 promax lee. So I hope it's stiff enough to be closer to 88 light than 86

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Kevin I don't think 28 p and 1.75 will run 90..not enough pitch. GonnA run outta rpms somewhere between 86-88 I feel. I just got a 28 promax lee. So I hope it's stiff enough to be closer to 88 light than 86
    Yeah you are right. Right now the 28 Promax I have will turn 6170 at 86 mph if that slip holds true and I get the boat balanced out it should run 89 at 6300. If it would go to the limiter that would be great.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    What makes absolutely zero sense about Hooken203s boat is a 28 promax ran 94.xx in 100 degree air on the limiter with 1.62 gears and a stock 300xs on my xb21....but he cam only spin a 28 to 6170 with 1.75s.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    What makes absolutely zero sense about Hooken203s boat is a 28 promax ran 94.xx in 100 degree air on the limiter with 1.62 gears and a stock 300xs on my xb21....but he cam only spin a 28 to 6170 with 1.75s.
    Pretty sure my boat is also drastically different than his with a 28 Promax with a 250 and 1.75's...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Yeah you are right. Right now the 28 Promax I have will turn 6170 at 86 mph if that slip holds true and I get the boat balanced out it should run 89 at 6300. If it would go to the limiter that would be great.
    I cannot imagine it not getting to the limiter. I suspect mine is going to hit the limiter in short order. I want to raise the limiter to use this prop more everyday is the plan. I think this prop and 6500 or so would be legit .