Berkley 100% Flouracarbon Line

Any of you guys fishing with the Berkley 100% Flouracarbon in the 15 -17 lbs. range? If so, is it a smooth casting line unlike some that has memory real bad. They are having a 15% off sale at Tackle Warhouse and thinking about giving this a try. Thanks..........
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

2. Member
    I personally think the stuff is junk.Little abrasion resistance, good amount of memory and it breaks easy. If you are looking for cheap flouro, just stick with mono. If you want good flouro, ya gotta pay. Pline and Sunline or Gamma.

Thanks for the info............
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

4. Member
    Yep. It is garbage.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    I personally think the stuff is junk.Little abrasion resistance, good amount of memory and it breaks easy. If you are looking for cheap flouro, just stick with mono. If you want good flouro, ya gotta pay. Pline and Sunline or Gamma.
    Ditto this. I 100% prefer Seaguar Invisx.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had an issue with it... EVER. Been using it since it came out over a decade ago. I have it spooled up on at least 18 rod/reel combos right now, from 6b to 20lb. I find it incredibly tough and soft, but it does have a little bit of memory. For my spinning reels I use the 100% XL Fluoro.

Now the Vanish line, that is another story.....

7. Member
    The only time I use Floura is for drop shot and crank baits and I'm not 100% sold on that. I've tried it all, best to the worst and I have found it stiff and nicks more easier than most mono's. I don't mean to bash anyone who uses it, more power to them. I do just fine without it. As you get older you will learn not try and keep up with the Jones and do your on thing, just fish.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For me, the stiffness/memory of Berkeley 100% is its worst feature. As to Fluorocarbon vs. Mono, there are hundreds of combinations of situation and line type/brand/size, so we all have to do the dance and figure out what works best for a given gig. I fish a lot more fluorocarbon than monofilament, because I like its sinking quality better (gives me a more direct connection to my lures) in the deeper waters and longer casts predominant in my fishing. For extreme abrasion resistance, like pitching around angle iron dock posts, I do use heavy mono (usually as a leader for braid) and I also use mono for some topwater applications. From what I've seen, though, fluorocarbon is hard to beat on 50-yard casts in 6+ feet of water or closer work when the water is 8-25 feet deep. Deeper than 25, I'm going braid with a fluorocarbon leader for less line stretch.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

The leader material is very good. Agree that the larger spools meant to be spooled up as main line is junk.

I still prefer Sunline FC Leader Material. A little better line, and you get 50 yards instead of 30 for about the same price.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Member
    I've had ok experiences with it, but I much prefer Sunline FC Sniper or Shooter.

I'm not a fan of Berkeley 100% fluorocarbon and wouldn't use it today. I like Sunline products. As Drew said, Sunline FC Sniper It's not cheap but if you're spooling a few of your and not all your reels it's afford (i.e. try braid mainline to Sniper FC leader). If you're looking for an economical option from Sunline, try Sunline Super. You can get a 1200 yard spool for $79.99 from Sunline. http://www.sunlineamerica.com/super-...n-bulk-spools/
    Good luck!

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

12. Member
    This is the first year I'm using 100% and haven't been breaking off nearly as much as I would with seaguar invisx. It does have a thicker diameter but find the abrasion resistance is better and I'd rather have that especially when tossing $6 jigs in zebra mussel waters.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    The 100% is good as leader material, but would not use for main line due to the issues of memory and stiffness listed above.

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Yep. It is garbage.
    Yep, no where near as good as seaguar

I gotta disagree with the masses here. It holds some memory, but the stuff is tough as nails. It's also stiffer than Seaguar which leads to less stretch and I consider that a benefit in certain situations. Been using the stuff for a long time and havent had any issues whatsoever.

16. Member
    I've used a whole bunch of different fluorocarbon lines over the years. I'd put the Berkley 100% fluorocarbon somewhere in the middle of the pack. It's a good line for some applications and a not so good line for others. I personally would never use it on spinning gear, regardless of what size line you're using. I just think it's too stiff. It has good abrasion resistance, and ties knots pretty well. Not as sensitive as some fluorocarbon lines, but better than others.

I'll put it this way ........ I'd use Berkley 100% fluorocarbon before I'd use InvisX. Even if I were forced to use on spinning gear.

If I were choosing fluorocarbon lines I would choose them in this order .......... Seaguar Tatsu (it's the only fluorocarbon line I use now, and IMO is the best all around fluorocarbon line on the market) Sunline Sniper (awesome line, bu I think Tatsu is better) and if I were using a rod and reel combo strictly for flipping and pitching, I'd go with Sunline Shooter. Shooter is a very stiff line, but man does it have crazy good sensitivity.

17. Member
    I've used it the past four years for bait casters. 12, 15, 20 and 25 pound test. I believe the diameter is larger than most, but it is tough line. As far as memory I've had to spray all my fluorocarbon with KVD line conditioner to minimize that. Doesn't matter the brand.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had an issue with it... EVER. Been using it since it came out over a decade ago. I have it spooled up on at least 18 rod/reel combos right now, from 6b to 20lb. I find it incredibly tough and soft, but it does have a little bit of memory. For my spinning reels I use the 100% XL Fluoro.

Now the Vanish line, that is another story.....
    You got that one absolutely right! Pro grade is top notch, pity I cannot say the same for Gamma or Yamamoto fluoro lines.