Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HPDI Trim - Slow On First Use

2009 HPDI Series 2.

On first use after the boat has sat a day or so, while trimming up or down, the noise will sort of cut in and out and the trim slows down then speeds up. Here lately it has gotten really slow in the morning before takeoff when I'm removing the transom saver. Once I work it up and down one time it doesn't seem to cut out at all, maybe a tiny bit here or there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Check your fluid level
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I verified the manual release screw is tight.

I released the fill cap (it was super super tight) and air hissed out, then followed by some fluid. I added some fluid and went to put the cap back on, and it's stripped! Just twists and twists.

Well that sucks..try Sims Yamaha for a new cap..
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Okay added and bled new trim fluid. The cap wasn't stripped, but missing the o ring. Thanks dealer...

It still gets weak occasionally when trimming up. Today it even clicked and the motor didn't move. I immediately tried the switch again and it worked. What could this be?

6. Member
    If it's noisy and weak, you have leaking seals. Just spend the money to get both new piston/cap assy's and be done with it. You can replace the seals, but will prolly damage the caps when you remove them and there is a good chance they are wallowed out oblong anyway and that is why the seals are leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    If it's noisy and weak, you have leaking seals. Just spend the money to get both new piston/cap assy's and be done with it. You can replace the seals, but will prolly damage the caps when you remove them and there is a good chance they are wallowed out oblong anyway and that is why the seals are leaking.
    Definitely not noisy. It just gets really weak going up or down occasionally. It seems to be getting worse, unless I have used the trim rigorously up and down. If I let it sit for 30 minutes or more then it's really bad the first time I hit the switch.

Seems to have really gone down hill this weekend. A few times today I hit the switch and all I hear is a "click" and the motor doesn't move. If I let off and then try again it will move.

Sounds like the motor might be toast..or a bad switch/relay.

Having said that make sure your batteries are in good shape and the connections are good.

Can I replace just the motor or do I have to buy the whole kit and caboodle? Can I open the casing to where the motor is and check something? Electrical contacts?

Okay now it's stuck in the up position. When I press any of the three trim switches the trim motor runs but nothing happens.

I was able to get it down. I released the manual tilt screw a bit and the motor moved down. I quickly tightened it back up, and now the tilt/trim is working again. I also released the fluid cap a bit to make sure no air was in there.

I'm at a loss as to what to replace, or take my chances at the Skeeter dealer.

Thanks to SIM Yamaha's help I was able to diagnose it to the trim motor, NOT the relay. I bypassed the relay with some 14 gauge wire and alligator clips to my starting battery and the motor still got weak on the way up.

Now my next question, how do you get to that top left 10mm/phillips head bolt to remove the motor?
    Last edited by chaseerry; 09-05-2017 at 04:15 PM.

14. Member
    Pull the entire unit off of the boat/motor.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    Pull the entire unit off of the boat/motor.
    Never done that. Is it possible to do while leaving the motor on the boat? I see two 14mm bolts at the bottom - anything else I'm missing?

16. Member
    Raise motor and flip the motor stop down. You may need to tap the trim slightly to relieve some pressure on the trim system mounting pin and bolts.

1. Go into motor cowling and disconnect the Pos/Neg wires from the motor on the starboard side under the black box. (Just follow the cable harness coming out of the trim unit, up into the motor, and over to the box.)
    2. Pull the cable harness back through and out of the cowling.
    3. Remove the upper Pin (#35 in this diagram https://www.simyamaha.com/category_s...art-category=9) that goes through the top of the tilt ram.
    4. Remove the two bolts at the bottom of the Tilt/Trim Assembly.
    5. Entire unit should come off now. I had to raise the motor a little by hand off of the motor stops to make a little more room to get the trim unit out of there.

Note: there will be bushings where these bolts and pins are. Remember to put them back in.

17. Member
    my 2008 was doing the same, i sent my assy to guy on Ebay in Fl--fivestarmarinesolutions , returned it in 10days, charged me $430 plus a new reservor for $75. seems to be good so far.

Thanks all.

Looks like I can get the motor off without removing the entire assembly by just trimming it down a hair from full tilt. I ordered the motor and it should arrive tomorrow.

Now I have another problem. My motor is stuck all the way down. I know about the manual release screw, but wow this thing is heavy. It doesn't seem to be budging though. Could it be in a bind or something? Having my dad come over tomorrow to help lift it to the fold down stop.

UPDATE: Replaced the trim motor with an aftermarket from the guys at ProMarineUSA (awesome service, wow). Had to bleed the system forever it seemed. Took it out on the lake today and all worked well.

Except about 4 hours in I noticed a strange noise when trimming down, but only in about the mid section of the trim-down. Almost like a screeching or rubbing sound? Sounded awful. Would go away once the rams were touched though. Took it out of the water and it doesn't do it on the trailer. Checked fluid level by unscrewing cap with the motor all the way up and air/fluid spewed out.

Thoughts?

20. Member
    Grease your trim ram stops? I dont lnow what they are called but the 2 points where the trim rams touch. That can cause some clicking and grinding sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast