Anyone running a Tempest Prop on a X19?

I thought I was done with my prop search. I had decided based on other members on here the FXP was a very good choice. I decided that was the route for me to roll the dice with. Well that's not happening any time soon and sounds like maybe forever... according to Yamaha. So I asked about TXP and they said not soon for that one either, they said the next props we will probably see around are the SHO props and while I don't like the price tag, I would buy one today if there was one around in a 23 pitch. Even with that one, they said its going to be awhile. No idea what they have going on there but it sure is not production...

So with all that said I have had a few dealers tell me the Tempest is a good prop for my boat/motor. I have a X19 with 175 SHO on a 10" jack plate. It came with the PT prop and the boat is squirrely as all get out and I don't like it. It is ok up to about 45 but then just all over the place. I have read through prop forums so much I can't even remember what I have read anymore. So I'm really looking to see outside of the Yamaha props what other props provide good control and decent speed with good boat lift like a FXP specifically on a X19 or maybe X18 as that would be similar control.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Member
    I have a x19 175 sho .Frist ran a 24 tempest work by Mark Croxton 66gps light load in cool weather.Heavy load and hot weather killed it .Would not turn enough rpms .Running a tempest 23 stock right now full tank heavy load with me and my wife 62 to 63 .Every day in hot weather .Performs and handles great .With my son 295 me 210 heavy load 60 .Ptp 3 3/4.Sent a new 23 tempest to mark will be back Monday will let you know how it works.I tried a fxp 23 it was slower than the tempest by 2 mph but it was a used one .

3. Member
    Rothwell marine tempest 23 449.00
    jacos marine 439.00 both free shipping no tax if you don't live it that state

4. Member
    I just ordered one from Rothwell yesterday. I'll post results from my x19 175 sho.
    2018 Express X19 Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO

5. Member
    Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I love having access to other owners experience on this board. Props are one of those things you feel like you roll the dice every time you order one and hate to make a mistake with the wrong one. I'm in TX and we have more hot weather than cold which is why I felt a 23 would be best for me and it looks like Nickl confirmed that as well. The fact that it performed a little better than the FXP is awesome. Nickl, does the boat feel pretty stable at speeds above 50 with the Tempest? I'm assuming so since it sounds like you really like that prop.

Thanks,
    Greg

6. Member
    Solid you will like the 23 Tempest good lift handles good .No chime walk and you can ran trimed up all the way at around 42 .I tried my at 3 1/2 but it ran better at 3 3/4 .

7. Member
    The Fxp I didn't mess with it munch on ptp .I could ran faster ?Both the tempest and the Fxp will ran faster if you want to spend the the money getting them worked

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    The Fxp I didn't mess with it munch on ptp .I could ran faster ?Both the tempest and the Fxp will ran faster if you want to spend the the money getting them worked
    Thanks again for all your help. Tuesday I will be placing an order.

9. Member
    I wanted to circle back and give a first pass update. I took the boat for a run after getting the Tempest Plus. I did not run it all out, it was a little choppy but I was able to run it up to about 55mph and it had much more control and felt a lot safer and better control which is what I was looking for. I still had a good bit of RPM range left so I am sure it is going to be plenty fast for me. We will see if it will run out at 6,000 or 6,200 on a calm day but what I really wanted was the feeling of control and it had that compared to the PT. I am very happy with my purchase so far.

10. Member
    U have to learn how to drive the boat if you want to go fast. Yes it will chine walk
    2010 Xpress X-19 2010 Yamaha VMAX Series 2 200

11. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by glenn-leray View Post
    U have to learn how to drive the boat if you want to go fast. Yes it will chine walk
    This.

Most boats running over 60 will chine walk until the driver gets enough seat time. After you get the hang of it, driving flat out will be a piece of cake.

12. Member
    Fast boats don't chine walk...Only fast boats that are set up poorly do.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    All pad bass boat will chine walk At a fast enough speed if you dont
    drive they .It depends on boat where that speed .

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Not been my experience. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

15. Member
    That’s a first for me also.

16. Banned
    Since when?

Squirmy or loose is a result of too much trim, bow lift. You have a really good prop with good hook and cup. Solutions 1: Reduce the amount of trim necessary to maintain stability. 2: raise your jack plate. The prop to pad gap is to large. I’ve had similar results with my overpowered bass boats and depending on tourney load or not would require a different jack setting. Plus 1 on hydraulic jack plate to quickly locate this sweet spot depending on how you are loaded. 3: switch to a 4 blade which will naturally provide less bow lift.

18. Member
    If your boat is under powered it may not chine
    walk .If you set it up to go little slower to keep it from chine walking.If like
    speed and want that extra 4 or 5 mph you may have to learn to drive it.Most 4 blades are slower.