Question Let's talk props

Hey guys got a 2012 Cougar FTD. Bought it in June and have spent some time behind the wheel. I'm turning a 25p Fury 3 blade and it's an absolute dog out of the hole. I'm looking at buying a new Fury4, I guess my question is should I go up to a 26p in the 4 blade or try a 25p first and see if it'll give it more bite on the holeshot. I love the Cat and when it gets up and on plane it's an absolute rocket, but fishing our river system there are times you need to get up quick. Thanks for the help fellas.

2. Banned
    I run a 26p fury 4 on my Cougar, coming from a 25 tempest plus, used to be a dog out of the hole also....and now, she jumps out with me (6'6" 220lb, my partner 220lb) full load, and livewells. You won't be disappointed with the 26p fury 4. I promise. It's like the fury 4 was made specifically for BCB. Better handling, better mid-level acceleration, very minimal top end loss (if any). Leave all holes open, and let her rip.

In order to accurately answer your question, we need to know what is your WOT RPM. The 26P Fury4 will drop your RPM a bunch. You don't want to do that unless you are under propped.

Also, do you have any PVS plugs in your 25P Fury?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Not sure of your load, performance data, and driver ability but I run a moderate tourney load, no poles, 4 wet batteries, fuel in rear tanks often, and water in livewells quite often on 07 Puma. I run a 26 Fury all summer long in tidal water with no problems after getting Ronnie Gilbert to do his magic. The stock 26 was a little sluggish for my liking before that. I used to switch to a 25 Fury in summer months just for added hole shot. No plugs in either prop. I can run 78.9 in summer loaded, 80-81 with just myself any other time and in cooler weather. I run 76-77 with the 25 Fury. I will prob have him work the stock 25 too just for kicks and grins.

I would like to try a Fury 4 though just to see how it does..

Quote Originally Posted by basscatcougar View Post
    I run a 26p fury 4 on my Cougar, coming from a 25 tempest plus, used to be a dog out of the hole also....and now, she jumps out with me (6'6" 220lb, my partner 220lb) full load, and livewells. You won't be disappointed with the 26p fury 4. I promise. It's like the fury 4 was made specifically for BCB. Better handling, better mid-level acceleration, very minimal top end loss (if any). Leave all holes open, and let her rip.
    How do you have that 26 fury 4 set up? Love the prop but my holeshot is God awful with wells full? No plugs in it.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD